Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Otter Creek this afternoon

I made it to Otter Creek this afternoon. I'm new to fly fishing and it showed today! I had easily 8 good hits and only caught one. There were very small (4in. or smaller) fish jumping clear out of the water all over the place. I can't rule out that these could be spawning/feeding shad, but the ones I saw seemed to look like trout. In fact, one seemed to have the coloring of a brown trout. I really didn't think Otter Creek had anything but rainbows in it. For there to be such small trout, it seems that they would have to be spawning, which I didn't think they did in P-G-T streams.

Regardless, I think I need smaller dry flies. I saw hundreds of trout hit the surface today and I'd guess they were eating these tiny midges flitting around. I also noticed 4-5 different insects in the air today, instead of just one type on Otter Creek a few weeks ago. Wouldn't this mean the trout should get less selective? Not my experience today! Don't even ask how many flies I lost to overhanging branches! All in all, a great afternoon on the creek followed by a night of watching basketball. Complaints? What complaints? Life is good!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otter Creek this afternoon

Congratulations ! Sounds like a great day ! ( I might have left a few flies in the trees myself ! )

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Eddie, what is the fishing like on post? I fished Otter Creek for 10 years, but always in the park. Since it closed I have not been back and was wondering if it was worth it to get a post permit and fish on Ft. Knox.

Post Thanks / Like

Life is good! Sounded like a great time on the water. Like Rock said, we have all sacrificed plenty of flies to the tree Gods over the years! Did you try throwing a dry with a dropper below it? Lots of times, when fish are rising, it is a good idea to fish your dry with a dropper below it. When these hatches are going on, the insects are swimming towards the surface in order to "hatch" into their adult, winged bodies. The trout will snatch these emergers up before they get to the surface. That is why it is always good to immitate both at the same time.....doubles your chances! And I like those odds! Try it next time and see if it doesn't increase your catch rate. Take care.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, Rich. Next time I hiit Bass Pro or Forward Cast, I'll be stocking up on tiny trout flies--dry flies and wet flies for droppers.

I've been impressed with Otter Creek so far. Of course, I'm new at all this. Hopefully, the crowds won't be too bad once it warms up, but it's been fun. It was a pain getting the permit,though. You have to wait for a single day driving pass, then get a fishing permit and a letter requestinga long-term car permit. Then go back and get the long term permit . All together, I probably spent 2 hours waiting. I'm sure this varies widely based on the crowds. Truth is, I really didn't mind b/c my fishing is so much less important than the other things that go on there, and the whole fishing is a privilege thing. First trip, driving down the dirt road to the creek I passed a group of soldiers on some kind of training maneuver with machine guns and such. Let me justsay I'm glad they're on our side!

Post Thanks / Like

I might have to make a trip down there next week and see about getting my permit. Thanks for the info. Maybe we can hook up and fish it sometime Eddie.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, just let me know when you want to head down there. As much as my work schedule allows, I'm always looking for an excuse to get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Colonel and i have fished Otter on the base several times last fall. The little fish you saw jumping were chubs. Alot of the hits you missed were probably them as well. They are quite thick in the base stretch, and they are a major annoyance if you are fishing small, delicate flies. Under the bridge is the only place I have ever caught trout there. I am curious what it would be like in the spring before gomer and his 3 foot friends fish them all out with corn and powerbait. I share your problem with never having the right flies. It's always something. I could have put a whoopin on some browns saturday morning at indian if I would have tied u even a few simple black dries.