Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 2010 Stockings to Start on Trammel Creek

My favorite trout waters are fixing to start receiving there 2010 trout stockings starting the first week of April. If you've never FF trammel creek, it is a great little water. Spring fed, cold all year long, clean clear water with classic riffles and pools. They plant bows and browns there. And there are some monsters! I caught a 27" brown trout there three years ago in late Oct. She was full of eggs! She shot them everywhere while I was handling her. She still lurks there somewhere. I have seen other large browns in deep pools, but have not hooked up with any more. You can catch trout from the head spring waters, down to the hwy31 bridge. My daughter and I have been going there for nearly 7 years (her whole life). A great place to take the kids or to do some solo FFin. Check it out sometime!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Stockings to Start on Trammel Creek

Rich, I need to get down there and fish with you on it sometime. Get you to show me around a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Rich, I need to get down there and fish with you on it sometime. Get you to show me around a little.
    Sure thing Tim. I usually check the website for the stocking dates, then try to hit it a couple days after. Made the mistake of going on stocking day once.....to crowded! The creek isn't very large, so you can only imagine what its like when twenty people show up to the stocking sites! After a few days the crowds disappear. They stock at two different bridges on the water, and usually by late summer the fish have dispersed nicely throughout the whole section. There are hold over fish that are always there. Mostly the browns, but some of the bows as well. They did an entire "stream restoration" project on the upper section last year. I'm excited to fish it this year. We'll be in touch.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan Rich. I know what you mean on stocking day, I made that mistake once on Lynn Camp Creek. Never again.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: 2010 Stockings to Start on Trammel Creek

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Sure thing Tim. I usually check the website for the stocking dates, then try to hit it a couple days after. Made the mistake of going on stocking day once.....to crowded! The creek isn't very large, so you can only imagine what its like when twenty people show up to the stocking sites! After a few days the crowds disappear. They stock at two different bridges on the water, and usually by late summer the fish have dispersed nicely throughout the whole section. There are hold over fish that are always there. Mostly the browns, but some of the bows as well. They did an entire "stream restoration" project on the upper section last year. I'm excited to fish it this year. We'll be in touch.

-Rich
    Where is this stream located that you speak of ?

Post Thanks / Like

State says 400 Browns went in on March 11th. Rainbows going in in April? Allen county is down near the Tennessee border on towards the eastern end of the state right? I've been curious about fishing that stretch for a good bit now, due mainly to the tell I have heard of the hold over browns and the fantastic setting. Extremely interested now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    State says 400 Browns went in on March 11th. Rainbows going in in April? Allen county is down near the Tennessee border on towards the eastern end of the state right? I've been curious about fishing that stretch for a good bit now, due mainly to the tell I have heard of the hold over browns and the fantastic setting. Extremely interested now...
    Colonel-
    You are correct, they put in the browns in March (little 5-6inchers, and occasional breeding stock), then they start the monthly bow stocking in April. You need to come check it out. It's a great little creek, the only problem with it is with any rain, it raises up and gets murky. Not worth going to in that situation. Normally though, it has cold clear water. And yes, it's in Allen county, just outside of Scottsville. Take care.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Where is this stream located that you speak of ?
    It's in Allen county....just outside of Scottsville. Let me know if you want to go, I'll give ya the grand tour!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

It's in Allen county....just outside of Scottsville. Let me know if you want to go, I'll give ya the grand tour!

-Rich
    I would love to go sometime ! Especially when my Flyboy (Son) can go along! He is really into backpacking and fishing! Also sounds like a good place to break in the little Bamboo Rod !

I worked around Scottsville for several years. Was not into fishin at the time tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    I would love to go sometime ! Especially when my Flyboy (Son) can go along! He is really into backpacking and fishing! Also sounds like a good place to break in the little Bamboo Rod !

I worked around Scottsville for several years. Was not into fishin at the time tho.
    It would be a PERFECT creek for your Bamboo lady!

later in summer, like July-Sept., I like to park at the lower bridge and wade up stream to just above the second bridge (were the spring is), then wade back down to the car. Catch fish all the way up and back down. Really pretty wade with plenty of fish along the way!

How old is Flyboy, and does he live in KY? Take care.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a PERFECT creek for your Bamboo lady!

later in summer, like July-Sept., I like to park at the lower bridge and wade up stream to just above the second bridge (were the spring is), then wade back down to the car. Catch fish all the way up and back down. Really pretty wade with plenty of fish along the way!

How old is Flyboy, and does he live in KY? Take care.

-Rich
    He is 19 and lives in TN. Busy with college and his Girl. So he does not have much free time lately ! But after this semester is over, Maybe we will get to fish some together !

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah! After i bust up some crappie I will have to check it out, thanks for the info.