Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Skeeter or Ranger

I am looking to purchase a bass boat in the near future, would like to find one a couple of years old, and would like to find one with warranty left. I am considering a 21ft. Skeeter or Ranger. What are the likes and dislikes of these two boats, or others i should consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Skeeter or Ranger

I love my zx250 Skeeter. It is an 02 and has a 250 HP Yamaha. I love the Yamaha. I wish the front compartment was a little bigger. Other than that It is a great boat. This is the second Skeeter that I have owned.

I would get either, just see what is the best deal you can get. JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple answer. Both are good boats and you won't go wrong with either one. I currently own a ranger but wouldn't hesitate to run a skeeter either. And you won't go wrong with a Merc, Yamaha or E-Tec (07-2010). They are all good motors. I have had a Yamaha and currently run an 09 E-tec. I love both of them. So when you buy a used boat don't get caught up in brands (look for the best deal). Ask Dave Stewart, he currently runs an 07 E-tec with over 1000 hours on it with no problems. That's more hours than most of us will put on a boat in a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Skeeter DEFINITELY. They have weathered the economic woes better than all the other manufacturers and have built a quality product for the last 60 years. Even on a used boat the second owner gets a full 10 year warranty on structural components You cant beat the ride and handling of these boats and no way would I take an evinrude over Yamaha. I run merc for years and after switching to Yamaha years ago will never own anything else

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Ranger 520, with a mercury 225, and I love it, handles rough water like a dream, huge fishing platform, and its a Ranger!!! But I like the Skeeters also, so I dont think you could go wrong with either of them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronzo View Post
    I am looking to purchase a bass boat in the near future, would like to find one a couple of years old, and would like to find one with warranty left. I am considering a 21ft. Skeeter or Ranger. What are the likes and dislikes of these two boats, or others i should consider.
    Hey both are nice boats BUT I WANT TO WARN YOU don't passout at the price... lol You can buy rent houses which create income cheaper than a new 21 foot ranger or skeeter. Man the day banks and finance companies started financing boats more than 7 years it hurt the consumer. I remember (yes i am old ha ha) when 7 years was all the banks would finance and in order to sell one companies where in line. Now 60,000 for a boat no problem finance it for 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbyrd View Post
    Hey both are nice boats BUT I WANT TO WARN YOU don't passout at the price... lol You can buy rent houses which create income cheaper than a new 21 foot ranger or skeeter. Man the day banks and finance companies started financing boats more than 7 years it hurt the consumer. I remember (yes i am old ha ha) when 7 years was all the banks would finance and in order to sell one companies where in line. Now 60,000 for a boat no problem finance it for 20 years.
    my 21' ranger is the best kind of boat their is, paid for!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 2002 Skeeter and the Hull shattered (de-laminated Manufacturer Defect) and Skeeter is stating that the boat only had a 5 year structural warranty and can't be repaired. The damage is so bad that it can't even be repaired by a Fiberglass expert so I am forced to but a new boat and have to dump my ZX in the Junk Yard. I was led to believe that Skeeter was a great company until I have dealt with them on this issue, and apparently I'm not the first one this has happened to. The fact is they don't stand behind there product! I know Ranger does and is one solid boat, yes it's more money but bottom line, you get what you pay for! Good luck what ever you decide but please do your research.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skeeter 001.jpg 
Views:	941 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	1510  

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking for myself I have had EXCELLENT results dealing with Skeeter. The only major structural problem I have ever had was in 1990 and I had to send the boat back to Texas. After it was inspected at the plant in Kilgore I recevied a call and was told there was a flaw in some materials and they wanted me to order a new boat. They replaced my boat with a new one free of charge to me. 8 Skeeters later and not one of them has ever been back for any type of repair or problems.

Post Thanks / Like

How bout Triton boats, any complaints on them. I know this is more than likely a chevy vs ford thing with all the boat companies out there. O by the way Chevy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misterbass21 View Post
    I own a 2002 Skeeter and the Hull shattered (de-laminated Manufacturer Defect) and Skeeter is stating that the boat only had a 5 year structural warranty and can't be repaired. The damage is so bad that it can't even be repaired by a Fiberglass expert so I am forced to but a new boat and have to dump my ZX in the Junk Yard. I was led to believe that Skeeter was a great company until I have dealt with them on this issue, and apparently I'm not the first one this has happened to. The fact is they don't stand behind there product! I know Ranger does and is one solid boat, yes it's more money but bottom line, you get what you pay for! Good luck what ever you decide but please do your research.
    what is that a picture of exactly?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like all the gelcoat fell off the fiberglass. Ouch! You can find some good deals on used boats. I have a 2002 Ranger with a Yamaha HPDI and love it. You can find good used Rangers out there and most will be garage kept and in good shape. It just seems like a Ranger owner always keeps it neat and clean. Next time your out on the lake just look at all the boats and you will see what I mean. Good luck!