Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Got a boat but no papers

Without calling the DMV in Bullitt County, does anyone know what the price is for licensing a boat that came with no papers?

I got a 2 man boat of the plastic variety that was stickered in Indiana for 2009, but no papers came with it.

The fella got it from the Shelbyville flea market and he had no papers for it.

Is it a lenghthy process?

Is it cheap?

Can I use my boat before I get everything in order?

I plan on taking it to Peabody in 3 weeks and the Rangers are all over checking your boat out. And rightly so I might add.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a boat but no papers

been there! Went down to liscences place told em what i had. They asked me the value gave them a sereial number walked out with tags. Very cooperative. When asked the value thats what they rate your taxes at so keep it low, however u dont need tag as long as u dont put any kind of motor on it. Arm strong motors are free to flow on the waters of Ky. Maybe special rules for peabody not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, all you need is a serial number. also, if the boat is older than 1970 you wont need a serial number as there were none then.

Post Thanks / Like

If there are no serial numbers then you or the previous owner will have to show proof of ownership for 5 years. If you have numbers then it shouldn't be any big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling motor counts too, It's like $5.00 to add trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

No papers at a flea market?

I am not calling anybody a thief, it just kinda makes sense to me that a person could easily sell a stolen boat in that manner. How could you check something like that to make sure it was not stolen goods before you buy it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_donger View Post

I am not calling anybody a thief, it just kinda makes sense to me that a person could easily sell a stolen boat in that manner. How could you check something like that to make sure it was not stolen goods before you buy it?
    You can't. I have never seen an older 2 man boat with papers. I have a 1962 alumacraft 14 ft V that didnt have papers, But did have a 1964 KSP inspection sticker I guess it passed!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_donger View Post

I agree. If it was stickered in Indiana would they have any info, but then again if it was stolen why did the theif leave the stickers on?

Post Thanks / Like

Since it has been registered you might have the previous owner to apply for a title. Not sure since it was in Indiana. You may also have to get it inspected in Kentucky which will tell you if it was stolen or not.

Post Thanks / Like

some boats just dont come with papers. If theres no motor theres no need to regester. I know when i was out whitewater kayaking i saw registration stickers on kayaks from ohio. That state makes you register just to get on the water and paddle. Guess it depends on size and value of boat on paper work. some boats if bought new all u get is a receipt. Here in ky it use to be all internal combustion engines must be tagged. Now its any motor must be tagged. Our trailers are gonna be next.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of boats don't come with titles. (plastic types, canoes, kayaks)
    some come with a COO or certificate of origin.
    As far as registering a boat and having to have license numbers on it, It depends on length and motor size. If you have a little two man boat with a trolling motor, it may not need to be licensed. (some lakes may require it but not the state)
    I imagine that it is really easy, take it to the clerks office with you along with a set of decals to stick on the side once your done. I bet your in and out in 30 minutes with no problems and less than a $50.00 bill.