Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

clands other fish

My son and I want to fish walleye but never fished them.Anyone have any advise on locations or bedding times type of cover anything would be helpful thanks Nitro-7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clands other fish

Im no expert but this time of year they are moving up into the rivers just like the stripe do to spawn and they will be concentrated. You can jig night crawlers or cast twister tails under riffles, or troll a shad rap. On Nolin Lake they are moving into areas like Broad Ford and on Green River Lake I heard they should be biting under the spillway. Dale Hollow is supposed to have some big walleye and Barren has started a successful stocking program. Once you start fishing for them and having some success you will really enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much about walleye fishing as there is not too much information around on them in Kentucky but am also trying to learn.Years ago I had a couple night on Dale catching a bunch.Caught a bunch last fall below Greenup dam.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: clands other fish

Walleyes, and sauger (walleyes little cousins) love rivers with rocky, and sandy bottoms. They can be found in lakes (due mostly to stocking programs) but they prefer rivers. This time of year they normally run up stream to spawn when water temps reach 45-50 degrees. They run upstream as far as they can untill water become too shallow, or the path gets blocked by waterfalls or dams. Walleyes then return too deeper water downstream after the spawn. They typically try to stay in water close to 50 degrees. I always do good year round just below dams especially if dam is open and water is flowing. Fishing at night in rocky waters 5ft deep or less cant be beat since walleyes are nocturnal. I like to fish the bottom with nightcrawler, or float a leech just above bottom. If you prefer artificials i'd suggest twist tail jigs in white, chartruse, or yellow. I hope this helps. Good luck on your walleye expidition. You'll love it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyjake View Post
    Don't know much about walleye fishing as there is not too much information around on them in Kentucky but am also trying to learn.Years ago I had a couple night on Dale catching a bunch.Caught a bunch last fall below Greenup dam.
    Jake
    as soon as the water warms up in the upper 50's, you can catch them at night on laurel lake, throwing shallow running baits, jerk baits, and top water baits. they will be easy to catch at night for the next 2 months. and laurel has some nice ones. when the shad start spawning, fish for walleye. the same way you do striper. with top water baits.

onemorecast56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nitro-7 View Post
    My son and I want to fish walleye but never fished them.Anyone have any advise on locations or bedding times type of cover anything would be helpful thanks Nitro-7
    I`ve fished the lake since 83,,,I`ve done real well throwing nightcrawlers on nothing but a nightcrawler and split shot..working it like a plastic worm throwing upshollow and working it slow back to the boat. Start at the up stream side of Indain Creek point on the main lake,,,it`s where the channel hits that bank,,you catch alot of Ky`s and smallmouth too..but work starting there and the next 15 points,,alot of stripers run there too..but starting mid April till the end of May is great....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for a lot of good information which I hope to put to good use.Wasn't planning fishing Laurel but to try to learn where the walleye might be located on Paintsville.They would probably be in similar locations as in Laurel and would like to know what kind of area to start looking,upper or lower lake,up creeks or the main lake and depth of water.
    Most of the ones I get from the river come at night on small jigs with white
    3'' twister tails.
    The ones I accidentally found in Dale was about two miles below Wolf River Marina in about 30 to 35 feet of water.They were schooled up tight.We were fishing for crappy with minnows with a Coleman lantern over the side of the boat.We caught a bunch the last two nights of our vacation which was the third week of June.Hope this might help someone as I have been getting a lot of help here.
    Thanks
    Jake