Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Help with fluorocarbon line

I was thinking about putting fluoro on my spinning reels. So I went to basspro's web page. It seemed like all the different types of fluoro line had several negitive reviews, from line diameter, to memory, to knot strenght, and durability. I know some of you use it so what do you recomenned and what do you think the pros and cons are? Thanks for all the help......GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with fluorocarbon line

I have posted numerous times about my experiences with fluro and I have yet to have a negative that I couldn't control. I am a fan of Seaguar InvizX, and AbrazX or Red Label for my spinning rod line, (anything under 10# test), Here's my own personal rules for fluro Rule #1 - Stay away from Vanish line - it's junk. Rule #2, Seaguar for 8 & 10# line, Berkley 100% for 12# and up,or, Viscous 15# and up. Rule #3, Check and retie often. Rule #4 use a reel that has adjustments for flurocarbon (see shimano line of reels, I personally like the symetry or the saros) Rule #4, Do NOT use on top water baits because it sinks. Rule #5 do not deviate from rules 1,2 &3. These are my OWN rules for me and it works extremely well.

Line Diameter? No problem, no complaints.
    Memory? Different brands are better/worse but above mentioned works WELL for me.
    Durability? How do you fish/where do you fish if it's rocks then all lines have issues some are worse than others but again not really a negative for me.
    Knot strength? I cut my hands repeatedly when trying to break off a stuck shakey head! The other day someone asked about knots - read it - allot of good insight there.

What you gain is sensitivity and line disappearance (to an extent) and ability to get bait to drop straighter down when casting to help eliminate the pendulum effect because it sinks. You get greater depths on crankbaits as well.

Cons: Cost $$$, having to experiment to get your own set of rules that work.

Post Thanks / Like

Im a big fan of using fluoro for my finesse set ups. I use P-Line. I tried a bunch a different types and could never keep it from braking a the knot. With p-line you can tie a palamar knot and not worry bout it breaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish fluoro as a leader only. The reason....durability, hands down. The stuff does not hold up well compared to mono. I've found that if I'm fishing rocky areas I'm retying every 15 minutes or so til the leader is gone. I can easily use 50-70 ft of this stuff a day. That being said it is well worth the trade off in low visibility. I use Seaguar and Vicious and I can't see it in the water. It tie it Suffix braid. Pete Ponds showed me the knot and it has NEVER broken. Thanks Pete!!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

i use flurocarbon for everything except for top water. i like p-line halo, 100% fluorocarbon, and p-line fluoroclear. dont have any trouble with any of these. one thing i do is check my line alot and retie. i also use the kvd lure and line conditoner i will wet a rag with it and run the line through it wile i am spooling it. it helps with the stiffness and makes it cast better.

Post Thanks / Like

i have used it all, pline halo has a really fast sink rate and i use it primarily. only fill the spinning reel about 2/3 of the way or it will want to spring off the reel like a slinky. any fluro will be like this on a spinning reel. other than the halo line, seaguar is also tops.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had no problems with Seaguar InvizX. I tried Vanish it sucked, I tried three different knots but it kept breaking at the knot. P-Line did not stay on the spool as well as the Seaguar for me.

Post Thanks / Like

the biggest problem with the knots is the fact the most people do not wet the knot when tying. When you clinch the knot down it creates heat and the integrity of the line is diminished.

IMHO the guy before was right with about the Vanish line. Seagur is great line and I hate to admit it but I've had pretty good luck with the XPS 14lb line.

Good luck.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Every thing offdtop said is spot on imho ! retie every thirty minutes whether you think you need to or not . I DIDN'T READ THAT IN A BOOK EITHER , school of hard knocks taught me that . lol .
    Oh , another thing , after a day of dragging a jig /worm through rocks and brush, before my next trip i strip off about 10ft of line and retie . another
    hard lesson learned .

Post Thanks / Like

I only use XPS 12lbs Flourocarbon one everything except top water "mono" and my heavy timber jigging line and that gets XPS braid.
    I found that a little line conditioner takes out any twist.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a lot of negative things about Vicious but I think I'm going to try some 15 lb test. It's priced very well and I hope I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are awsome. Thanks for all the info it really helped. Im going the try seaguar invisx in 10lb on my sahara spinning reel. I alreaddy tie the palomar knot (and wet it very well) so i dont think i will have a problem there. heres another question-anyone have a good used spinning rod for they would let go cheap? I currently have a 6'6 lighting rod-about 12 years old I think. I would like to upgrade. Thanks again for all the help. GO VOLS!!!!!