Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lower unit drain plugs

I changed my gear oil last night and I thought I was gonna straighten out the screwdriver slot on the upper drain plug before I could get it out. I finally got it, but dang that thing is that hard every year. Any of you experts out there know of a special tool screwdriver with a T handle or something that would make it easier to bust that thing loose. It's a V-Max 150, about two more times and I'm gonna have to replace that drain plug.

Why does all my 15 minute jobs turn into an hour, I didn't think I would ever get that thing out, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lower unit drain plugs

Did you replace the little rubber washer on the drain plug? For that matter if that washer is missing it could make the threads over tighten due to metal to metal. What I have found to work for me best is to replace the washer, both upper and lower every time I change my lower unit lube, sometimes 2X a year depending on use. They only cost about .25 apiece and is cheap insurance to make sure no water gets in the LU.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I know that might help is the next time you take the plug out try putting more elbow grease on the screwdriver! lol

All joking aside I do think you have a good question there.

I think all of the plugs are like that. Any time you put a steal screw or bolt into aluminum it will seize unless you use anti seize compound on the threads. I would not do this without talking to my engine tech. I do not put the compound on my drain plug or vent plug for fear that it might vibrate out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Did you replace the little rubber washer on the drain plug? For that matter if that washer is missing it could make the threads over tighten due to metal to metal. What I have found to work for me best is to replace the washer, both upper and lower every time I change my lower unit lube, sometimes 2X a year depending on use. They only cost about .25 apiece and is cheap insurance to make sure no water gets in the LU.
    Yea, I replaced them, always do, They aren't rubber on the Yamaha though, they are hard like a fiberglass, or composite.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced mine on my Johnson with ones that have any allen screw head. I don't know if they make them for a v-max.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Lower unit drain plugs

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    I replaced mine on my Johnson with ones that have any allen screw head. I don't know if they make them for a v-max.
    Thats a great idea!

Where would a fella find a allen head replacement for Johnson or Evinrude?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mhall;408303]I changed my gear oil last night and I thought I was gonna straighten out the screwdriver slot on the upper drain plug before I could get it out. I finally got it, but dang that thing is that hard every year. Any of you experts out there know of a special tool screwdriver with a T handle or something that would make it easier to bust that thing loose. It's a V-Max 150, about two more times and I'm gonna have to replace that drain plug.

Why does all my 15 minute jobs turn into an hour, I didn't think I would ever get that thing out, lol.[/QUOTE

the next time you change it, put the screw driver in the slot and push in hard. with your other hand take a pair of pliers and turn the screw driver. thats my way of removing a tight screw. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Might try applying a little anti-seize compound to both upper and lower threads!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I did all the above it was a bear. Man that Allen head thing would be awesome, I'm gonna look into that.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also read that an impact driver will help to loosen that screw.

And yes, why oh why don't they all have an allen head on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Impact driver just a gentle tap and wallah but the idea of replacing the gaskets make great sense

Post Thanks / Like

I have a screw driver that has a square base at the end of the shaft at the base of the handle. That allows me to put pressure along the line of the screwdriver shaft against the screw head with one hand, and then I use a cresent wrench to turn the screw driver with the other hand. Makes the job simple. You should be able to find one of these at sears, autostore, or if you have to snap on. Mine is a cheapy but I bought it for that use.