Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

I met David L. Hayes today....THE MAN

That is correct fellas. From Elnutsmalljaws, a Smallmouth nut, standing face to face with THE MAN - David Lee Hayes, Owner of the 11lb 15 oz World Record Smallmouth Bass, was not only a joy but an honor. Today, my wife, son and myself made the journey to Mr. Hayes home in Leitchfield KY and for all the times I have driven the WKY Parkway pulling my boat to Ky Lake, none was more anticipated or nervous of a trip than today. I got to meet the man that caught one of the most impressive freshwater fish of ALL TIME. The fact that I got to meet a man that caught the fish that EVERY Smallmouth angler who has ever wet a line knows about and dreams of beating was exciting and nerve racking at the same time. Mr. Hayes is one of the nicest and most personable men that you will ever meet. Spend 5 minutes with him and his lovely wife, Ruth, who have been married 68 years and counting (69 this coming December), and you will know without a shadow of a doubt that he would not ever consider much less shove any motor parts down a fishes gullet to get some record. He did not even know the fish was a record or what the record weight was for a Smallmouth Bass. We sat and talked for 2 hours just as if it was Grandfather and Grandson. I heard the story of THE FISH, stories of the monster Walleye that is hanging in his garage, the story of the 35lb Muskie that he fished for 3 years trying to catch out of the Green River (But a lady with a cane pole and a minnow caught instead). What an outstanding human this man is and to still have the heart to invite a total stranger and his wife and son into his home and take the time to speak with him after all that he has been thru over this fish speaks even more of his character of a man. I will never forget this day as long as I live and can't wait to hang the photos that my wife took on my Smallmouth wall. He is even going to let me stop back by in a couple of weeks and autograph the picture of just him holding his record catch. Once signed, it will be on the wall for LIFE.

The fish. 11lb 15oz MONSTER. No other word than MONSTER can be used to describe this fish. I have held 6 pound Smallies, saw the 8-4 replica that is on Justin Halls desk, seen Billy Westmorelands 10 pounder that is at the One Stop and this fish is so much visibly bigger than all those it is rediculous. Anyone that has ever seen this fish in person and would even doubt its weight has never caught a fish bigger than a 4 inch bluegill, PERIOD. The shear girth and length of this fish is nothing that I have ever seen. Of all the pictures that I have seen of the fish DO NOT do it justice. Until you see this beast live and in person, you will never truly understand of what a freak of a fish this thing is. I even got to hold the White Pearl Bomber lure that caught the fish. It is missing the back set of treble hooks, which was pulled from the wooden bait, and even though it was brand new out of the pack just a short while before Ol Joe (the name of the fish) hit, it looked like it had been thru a war and back. Ol Joe as it was named was hooked by not only Mr. Hayes the year before he officially caught him but also hooked by his fishing buddy as well. As Mr. Hayes put it, he knew exactly where Joe lived. I do to as he pointed it out on the map plus explained exactly where he was trolling when she hit. But in the same conversation of how excited he was when he landed the fish and he uses words like "the fish has brought me nothing but heartache" "the next time I ever catch a fish that is even close to a record, I will have 3 preachers, the county attorney, county judge, local sherriff, and a state trooper present at the weigh in" plus the fact that a total stranger called him up to tell him that after 49 years of having the record that it was dis-allowed and he no longer held it (with so much as not even a phone call to talk to him about it before hand) makes one feel for the torment and torture that he took over this fish. Add in the Nashville Boat show in the 80's that the promoter asked him to show up and he would pay his expenses and all he got was more ridicule with FISHERMEN saying the fish was no where near 12lbs and stuff (so much that he left in the middle of the show and did not go back). This man suffered more than any man should over catching a fish. A man that NEVER took a nickle from anyone for the fish. Sad to say it is the world we live in, jealousy and such seems to get in the way of other peoples good fortune.

Mr. David Lee Hayes and Mrs. Ruth Hayes are plain and simple a class act. Like I said before, I would swear on a stack of bibles that he did nothing dis-honest or illegal in regards to catching this fish. Mr. Hayes is 85 years young and even though he has some recent health issues, still kicking pretty good and even enough that he push mowed his lawn after we left. I know this for I called back to thank them for their time and Mrs. Hayes said he was taking back the lawn mower he borrowed for he just go done mowing his grass (the fellow that normally does it was out of town). I just hope to be around at 85 and won't be too picky and ask that I be able to push mow my lawn at 85.

Mr. Hayes you are a class act, a legend, a fine gentlemen and a man that I have thought of often. I appreciate your time today and look forward to meeting you again soon.

Signed - A smallmouth nut in search of a 12 pounder
    Elnutsmalljaws - Elwood Lumpkins

PS - In a lot of pain right now but when my wife gets the pictures off the camera and onto the computer I will post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I met David L. Hayes today....THE MAN

Most EXCELLENT Elwood........Cannot wait to see the pics, and hopefully see you on the lake SOON.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Great story. That wouldve been awsome.

Post Thanks / Like

That was better than most stories in Bassmasters, lol. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Something I forgot was Mr. Hayes was trolling when he hooked Ol Joe. His wife and son was asleep in the bottom of the boat and he yelled for Mrs. Hayes to get up and get the net. He put the boat in a slow turn in order to help get some line back on the reel. When Joe jumped the first time, as he did the previous 2 times she was hooked, she broke the back hook out of the Bomber Crankbait. Mr. Hayes saw this happen and knew she was barely hooked then. When he got her next to the boat he could see that the fish had the front hooks inside its gills thru the outside of the body. When he got her in the net and picked up the fish as he went to remove the hooks it fell right out. There was not a barb at all attached to the fish. Sometimes it is just fate that a fish is caught.

I have the pictures on email if anyone wants them, send me an email to elnutsmalljaws@yahoo.com and I will forward them. Still don't know how to post them here but my guess is Redneckshadrap will help me figure it out or someboday.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into Dave Stewart and he mentioned that you posted here.

The only thing to top this would be for you to break it on the FNF.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome Elnut...great writeup!

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood,
    Great story. I too met Mr Hayes in Leitchfield. I was fishing a Fishers of Men tournament on Nolin Lake and our church pretournament meeting was at his home church. David with his trophy showed up and I got to sit down with him while eating dinner and talk to him. Like you said, a fine gentleman. And the fish, humongus! Great memories. He gave his speech about the fish and then gave a great testimony on his salvation.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, Elwood, I would give anything if you could get "Old George 12+" on your line and after looking it in the eyes let me somehow under the water exchange it for the "Big Log" and see your face when it surfaces for your net. Wouldn't that be sweet revenge!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for sharing your story, am very sorry you're in pain, hope that passes and you're back on the water SOON!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: I met David L. Hayes today....THE MAN

Cool First Hand report. I have read about this before. Your article is the best so far. Glad you got to meet him.