Search Fishin.com

Thread: Rip vs. Jerk

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Rip vs. Jerk

I don't think I have seen much discussion on the board on using rip baits vs. jerk baits so I thought I would start a discussion on these two different techniques. First, ripping is what the term indicates...sweeping the rod across your body and then pausing until the next rip. I would like to add just one thing to this, and that is just before ripping the second rip, add a slight wiggle and then rip. Most of the time the bass has hit the lure on the wiggle before the rip. As far as a rip setup, I think one should start with a good 6' 8" M Fast Tip (soft tip) spinning rod or a 6' 8" MH Fast Tip (soft tip) baitcaster rod. The reel is less important than the rod so any good reel will work but it should be spooled with 6 to 8 lb flurocarbon which sinks fast and is invisiable in cold clear water. If you are using flurocarbon on a spinning reel, make sure you unspool your line and tie it some place where you can stretch it to reduce the memory recoil and any twist.

Jerk baits are a little different animal. Like rip baits, jerk baits work best in clear water because you are looking for a reaction strike. The main difference between Jerk baits and rip baits is the way you present the lure. However, the rip bait may or may not be suspending which is another difference. You could put enough lead on the front hook of a Shad Rap and rip it across the bottom in deep water. Whether you are using a rip bait or a jerk bait the color of its belly is what is important because most of the time the fish is looking upward at the lure so belly color is important and best colors most of the time is white, orange and red.

Now to jerk bait presentation. It is most importantly that you allow the jerk bait to suspend motionless. The best presentation is to suspend the lure motionless in a "head-down" position. A good lure to use is one in which looks and moves the way described in auraor black or ghost minnow, and it does not have to be an expensive lure but it does need to have the desired action. One presentation is the "pull-pause" natural swinning action technique. But, the lure must remain motionless on the pause and the pause must be left to a "slack line." You may not believe that this makes difference, but it does. This technique works well with long-billed deep diving jerk baits.

The second presentation is the "jerk-jerk-pause" method. Or, whatever pattern the fish are telling you on any given day. Again, the lure must remain motionless on the pause with a slack line, and the rod tip pointed toward the water. Do not reel up the line on the pause to avoid moving the lure. Jerk the lure and immediately let the rod tip return toward the lure. The only time to reel up is when you want to cover a lot of water then you may want to use a "jerk-reel-jerk" method. The number of jerks, the length of pause and lure speed all may be adjusted. I am sure a lot of you have your own technigues when ripping and jerking. I think this type of fishing is fascinating and can be very productive, especially this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rip vs. Jerk

Jerkbaits are my numbers bait. And they have been for over 25 yrs. And it does matter what time for year it is but, right now if it is clear where you fish. There isn't anything better in my book. Yes this means take the time to figure out the color, pattern, bait size and manufacture. But it is worth it. Most give up to soon.
    Been exploring with braids for the last several years with 8lb floro leader and have lost a lot fewer fish. Take the time and figure out the best rod and line combos for each bait because it does matter wether you like to throw jerkbaits or catch fish with them. And the combo also means less wear and tear on the forearms.

Post Thanks / Like

Excelent post to read. I love to use a jerk bait. (Rapala X-Rap) I use them all year long. Different depths through out the year and different speeds. I use a 6'-6" with a bass pro high speed reel to recover line quickly. Usually 10pound berkley vanish. I dont just fish the open water, I will throw right in the middle of the thick trees. I worry first about getting a bite then about how I can get the fish out. Good luck out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I to use xraps ALOT! # different sizes. I have also found using them on shallow flats right down the ditches in a 1' or 2' of water is great!!! This past week I could work the rogue Jr right through the the patchey weed/moss slime. And with the braid or floro it ripped throught it clean. 6'6" Team Diawa w/ feugo reel in spinning is my shakey head rod but has been great for smaller rogues, pointer78s and x-raps. Still have have found and right bait casting combo yet. Use to throw a 6' browning, 6'6" quantum kvd crankin rod, 6'6" BPS finnese rod and finnese reel , yet still haven't found the right feel for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats good information. Thanks.
    'Tis the Jerkbait season!

Post Thanks / Like

Good info! I don't fish a jerk bait enough but have had some success when i do

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the "drop-shot" is also deadly this time of year on prespawn and spawning bass.