Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Confusion about creel limit and possession limit?

This might be a stupid question but if more than one person is in the boat are you still only allowed one creel limit or a possession limit. The reason I ask is because me and some buddies are going crappie fishing at Kentucky Lake and we were wondering how many we were allowed in the boat. I know the creel limit is 20 over ten inches so possession would be 40 over ten inches. Could somebody clear this up for me before I get a ticket for not knowing any better!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confusion about creel limit and possession limit?

"The daily creel limit is the number of a particular sport fish species you may keep in one day's fishing. A possesion limit is two times the daily creel limit for all species with a daily creel limit and excludes processed fish." That is the how KDFWR defines the difference on their website. It sounds to me like the most you could have in your boat would be 40 if there are 2 or more people in the boat, if you are alone you could have only 20 in your boat. That's a very interesting question and if there is anybody out there that knows for certain please let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Daily limit is just that, possesion limit is what ever the law allows yopu to have in your possesion. This can get hairy. In minnesota many fishermen have been fined for having fish over the poss. limit.there was a case where a guy I know was fined heavily for having fish in his freezer, coho salmon, hewas turned in by a sore head who couildn't fish as well as this could. Some northern resort owners will not freeze your fish for you if you have more than 2 days limit. you also need to leave a skin tab on your fillets for identification, they are very touchy about this also. I think minnesota has more game wardens than fishermen sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zofishkentucky View Post
    This might be a stupid question but if more than one person is in the boat are you still only allowed one creel limit or a possession limit. The reason I ask is because me and some buddies are going crappie fishing at Kentucky Lake and we were wondering how many we were allowed in the boat. I know the creel limit is 20 over ten inches so possession would be 40 over ten inches. Could somebody clear this up for me before I get a ticket for not knowing any better!
    you are allowed your limit, and your friend is allowed his limit. which would be 20 crappie each.

Post Thanks / Like

Creel limit is the number of fish you're allowed to catch and keep in one day. While you're out fishing, if you get caught with more than your creel limit, you're going to get cited. Possession limit is the number of fish you're allowed to possess "in the field," so it includes even fish you've filleted and put in your cooler, or even the fridge of your cabin, unless said cabin is your primary residence. Possession limit is equal to 2 times the creel limit. So if you're out camping, and you've caught and kept a limit two days in a row, you need to eat some of them before you go fishing again. I hope that clears it up for ya.

Here's a link to where the KY regs are posted:
    http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx

I always download the PDF's and save them on my computer. You can also pick up a copy any place they sell fishing licenses.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=waterdog101;409357]you are allowed your limit, and your friend is allowed his limit. which would be 20 crappie each. if you and your friend bought fishing licenses, then two sets of fishing licenses. would mean two limits of crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me stir it up a little bit more... If you get on the water at 6pm and come off at 6am, if your livewell contained the possession (two times the daily limit) limit for that species, would you get cited?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    Let me stir it up a little bit more... If you get on the water at 6pm and come off at 6am, if your livewell contained the possession (two times the daily limit) limit for that species, would you get cited?
    if you were by your self, you would get a ticket. if you had a friend with you and you both had fishing license. you would be fine. two limits of fish, two guys with fishing license.

Post Thanks / Like

I can clear all this up! Each person in the boat can have their daily limit, period! If you return home or to a camp, doesnt matter, fillet your fish and leave them at home or camp and catch another limit each day. You can possess as many fish at home or camp as you like but dont get caught with more than the daily creel while fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

So if you're fishing off a houseboat, you have to eat your daily limit before you can start fishing again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    I can clear all this up! Each person in the boat can have their daily limit, period! If you return home or to a camp, doesnt matter, fillet your fish and leave them at home or camp and catch another limit each day. You can possess as many fish at home or camp as you like but dont get caught with more than the daily creel while fishing.
    It's not accurate to say "You can possess as many fish at home or camp as you like." At HOME, yes, but not in your camp. The possession limit does exclude "processed fish," so I guess if they were filleted you'd be okay. But if you had more than a possession limit of "unprocessed" fish in your cooler at your camp, you'd be in violation. The possession limit even applies to a cabin that you OWN, unless it's your "primary residence." I'm sure people's coolers/fridges in their campsites or cabins rarely, if ever, get checked, but that's what the LAW says.

This has been discussed extensively on this board in the past. And if you'll just visit the link I posted previously, you'll find a good explanation from KDFWR. One correction to what I posted previously is that for rainbow and brown trout, the daily creel limit and the possession limit are now the SAME (total of 8, only 3 of which may be browns). I'm pretty sure this is new for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Creel Limit - limit per person per day

Possession Limit - limit a person may have total in their possession

If there are three of you in the boat, you are allowed 3 limits, but each must be kept seperate and each angler must be able to claim which are his or hers.

Also, one of your buddies can give you his limit of fish to take home as long as it's kept seperate and he has written his name, address, phone number, and signature on a piece of paper stating he has done so. In doing so, you would have your possession limit (your limit plus his). Now if both buddies give you his fish, then you would be in violation because you would have 3 limits in your possession.