Search Fishin.com

Thread: Help with Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Help with Dale

Guys thanks for taking the time to help me out. I am heading down to Dale for a little fishing. First time down there in about 10 years. 1) Should I get a KY/TN license or can I just stay in the KY side. I am going to assume that the creeks will be my best bet with the secondary points in the coves as the usually key spots. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. I plan on throwing some live bait and jerk baits. I am hoping the full moon next weekend helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Dale

Smitty,

I have not been fishing DH this spring yet and won't be there until 4/25. However, I've fished it every spring for the past 20 years and been trying to keep up and here's what I know for now:

Looks like a late spawn this year. There has been a small wave of spawners already move up and locked up on the nest, the next bigger wave will come a little later, there's a full moon 4/28, that would be my guess. (Could be bad for me if they lock up) The water temps are getting about right. People are fishing swimbaits, grubs, and jerks - REALLY SLOWLY on main lake points and flats. You'll catch some smaller bank runners right now on the clay but the big mammas are still slowly moving up to the flats. Try to find some grass off the main and secondary points and get down there in it with a grub. My suggestion is not to overthink this time of year. Use light spinning gear, 6-8 lb line max, and throw a smoke, bluegill, chartreuse, or pumpkin seed 3-4" grub. Start swimming it thru the grass or by lay-downs as soon as it hits the water and use a straight, slow retrieve all the way back, don't jig it or change the speed.

As for your license, I always stay on the TN side and just buy TN. I would have to look at a map again, but there's LOTS more water on the TN side. Now that can be good or bad. Lots of water usually tempts people to do more running than fishing. I'd recommend getting to know a creek or creek arm REALLY well before zooming all around the lake, and staying on the KY side is a good way to do that. You'll have access to all of Wolf Creek and some good fishing in Sulphur and others.

If you find the fishing REALLY tough, surprise yourself and go down to a 2" grub on 6lb line on an ultralight. My favorites in this category are the 2" Southern Pro Hot Grubs you can get from Cabelas (advertised as crappie grubs) in tennessee shad color. I can't tell you how many 20" fish I've caught on those things over the years (and how many I've lost)

....BillH

Post Thanks / Like

This post may be one of the best "reports" on Dale,...or any place that I've read...now that was a good post. Going down to Dale Thur. night...staying for 3 days...hope to do well in my club's tournament! I have some smoked grubs...and have caught some huge smallmouths on them...one of my largest is when I was C-Riging them. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, then you can let me know if I'm an idiot or not, before I get there just to make sure

...BillH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hartmacw View Post
    LOL, then you can let me know if I'm an idiot or not, before I get there just to make sure

...BillH
    oh...Im sure you are not an idiot...what ever happens at Dale. That place is the toughest place I know to bass fish...during high pressure days, using artificial lures. But I will give a full report on the 19th on not just how I do...but how well the club does during our two day weekend tournament there...going out of Wolf.!!

Post Thanks / Like

Headed down on Friday... with my girlfriend... says she wants to learn to fish. Wonder how the Zebco 33 will hold up?? Don't bother me none. Headed out of Eagle Cove. Thanks for the tips, Dale Hollow is my favorite lake, I must like torment and heartache : )

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Help with Dale

Quote Originally Posted by demodan View Post
    oh...Im sure you are not an idiot...what ever happens at Dale. That place is the toughest place I know to bass fish...during high pressure days, using artificial lures. But I will give a full report on the 19th on not just how I do...but how well the club does during our two day weekend tournament there...going out of Wolf.!!
    Planning on fishing for largemouth...focusing on wolf river section of the lake..Illwill creek also...what has been your experience fishing that area hartmacw? From your post...you made mention that all of wolf is good; I've never focused on that area primarily, but that is the plan for the green fish! Would like to hear your thoughts, or anybodys for that matter??

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a couple good days in recent years in the cut that has the little boat ramp upriver from Wolf River Marina... spinner baits and brush hogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortkid View Post
    I've had a couple good days in recent years in the cut that has the little boat ramp upriver from Wolf River Marina... spinner baits and brush hogs.
    Hey shortkid...do you throw the baby brush hog there...or the large size? Just thought I's ask? You ever done any "sight fishing" there?

Post Thanks / Like

I throw the baby brush hog... typically in anything green"ish" with 3/8 oz (or smaller) weight. No, not a sight fisherman... not that accomplished... nor patient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by demodan View Post
    Planning on fishing for largemouth...focusing on wolf river section of the lake..Illwill creek also...what has been your experience fishing that area hartmacw? From your post...you made mention that all of wolf is good; I've never focused on that area primarily, but that is the plan for the green fish! Would like to hear your thoughts, or anybodys for that matter??
    I didn't mention Wolf river as a place I consider good because I am not too familiar with the area. The original poster asked whether or not he should buy just a KY license or both, and I was just pointing out that he would have *access* to all of Wolf with a KY license. Personally if I had just a KY license I'd live in Sulphur and Illwill. I know Wolf has some good areas and is especially good for crappie, but can't comment on the bassin'.

...BillH