Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Superstitions

NO Bananas
    I must wear certain hats, only the chosen ones will do
    If all the Cows are laying down in the fields on the way to the lake it's gonna be a bad day.

And last but certainly not least, never ever never catch a fish on the first cast.

Post Thanks / Like

no RED beads on my Carolina rig, oh and i will catch that fish, on the first cast, just might be old big girl. JMO

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a no fish on the first cast guy as well.

Another one for me is wildlife - if the animals are out and about...deer running in the fields, rabbits running across the road, squirrels are out, birds are active...then the fish are going to bite!! Never heard the cows laying down...will definately look for that next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 50's Dad and I would go and he would spit on the worm for luck, Never understood why the worm alway"s died.

Post Thanks / Like

I make a random cast right off the bat and burn it in, and I Like MHALL am a firm believer in the lucky hat theory and I have one thing last year that proved it too me:

We fish alot of 2 or 3 boat competitions as where we don't put up money BUT we do challenge for "lids", (see biker boyz movie), I was challenged and lost my lid on memorial day last year! I had been fishing tourneys and had won 4 of the first 5 tournaments and took second in the other, so I accepted the challenge and lost. After that I couldn't catch a limit to save my life for the next 3 tourneys and the boy who won the hat won 2 of the next 3 and took a second. I firmly believe he took my mojo!!!! Laugh if you will but it's true. I had went on a hunt for another hat and after three months of banging it out I started to catch fish and wound up taking an 3rd, 2nd then winning the final tourney thus winning me angler of the year in our club -

I won't be putting up my hat again!! Mojo is earned my friend and not to be gambled with, although the lid competitions are a blast but it must be the hat your wearing!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

to me this is some dumb stuff, but funny to read. what would it mean, if you caught a fish, with dog ticks on it. what would you guys think, if on your first cast, you caught a world record smallmouth. would you still be in for a bad day. I remember once, this guy that I worked with, said he had the chicken pox, and his mother made him lay down. in front of the chicken house door. and let all the chickens run across him, so as to cure him.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe I'm not into this stuff Anymore but I was when I was younger. Very funny to read though

Post Thanks / Like

I can' fish without dipping or chewing...My partner always makes great sandwiches, I will not eat one until we have caught fish...He usually doesn't make it that long...Same thing at the horse track, no food or drink untill I hit a race.....I go hungry quite often..

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I always used to think it was going to be a good day when I caught one first cast. But now that you mention it I have had some bad days when that happened.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, first off, to append to an earlier poster's saying:

Wind from the East, fish bite the least
    Wind from the West, fish bite the best
    Wind from the South, blows the bait in the fishes mouth
    Wind from the North, fisherman should not go forth (yeah, right)

Catching a fish on the first cast is bad, but if more than one are on the boat, you should not be the one to catch the first fish either. Unless significant $$ is involved, one should proceed to jiggle, shake, flop, or otherwise break off the first fish. This superstition ends faster if your partners are unaware of this rule - and remain so on subsequent fishing trips. Nail clippers are handy for abiding by this rule in times of dire emergency. Braid is not a good choice here, use cheap Walmart mono or barbless hooks until your partner catches the first one.

But OUR #1 superstition of ALL time on our boat:

If your partner is catching and you aren't, and you change bait to match your partner (size, color, type), ALL will stop catching. It's THE rule. It is unchangeable. It is non-negotiable. Said copycat can be banished from said boat. Period. Happens every time - it just does.

...BillH

Post Thanks / Like

when i go with my buddy mattbay and i catch the 1st one it's not a good day. if he get's the 1st one then we both usually do good. i should probably not even throw until he hooks up.....nah

Post Thanks / Like

Dont fish if the full moon is a redish/orange color--i have fished during this condtion 3 time without a bite !!!