Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Superstitions

I was just wondering how many of you all out there believe in fishing superstions. I'm a firm believer in keeping bananas out of the boat and not catching a fish on the first cast. Are there any more that you all believe in?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Superstitions

No one in my boat gets a dip or chew of tobacco until the first fish is landed. (This one actually does work for a few minutes because it's all business until we get off the goose egg.)

Post Thanks / Like

One that I found to be kind of true is if getting to the lake is one big pain in the butt, then have done good at fishing.

One time my partner and I were on our way to Rough and we thought we ran over something. He though everything was fine and I thought we just had a flat tire. Come to find out after we stopped the boat came off the ball and were saved by the chains. Went on to catch about 19lbs that day on Rough and won the tourney and big fish. There are others too....

Post Thanks / Like

i have two of them.

1st,, i will not go unless im for sure gonna make it on the water and ready to go before the sun comes up cause i like to be at my spots durring what i call "the magic moment",, LOL

2nd,, i wll not set the hook on the first fish that hits or takes the bait if possible.

these are just two things i am supertitous about and i am by myself 95% of the time so fishin partners are not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind from the east, fishing is least.
    Wind from the west, fishing is best.

That works in Kentucky, but I've fished a lot of saltwater on the east coast of Florida and it is totally opposite there.

Post Thanks / Like

Never, ever, never, ever, at any point, ever catch a fish on the first cast! If you do, you should simply just salvage the rest of your day by loading up and heading home.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a firm believer in bad luck if you catch one first cast. Went to Ky 2 years ago, put teh boat in teh water on teh first day of a week long trip, didnt even start the big motor... within 50yds of ramp trhough out the first bait (a crawdad wiggle wart) caught a fish right then... rest of teh week was shot, and that particular bait hasnt landed a fish since...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel that I am superstitious, but NEVER EVER catch a fish on the first cast. I twill doom your trip for sure. Facts are facts!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The bananna deal is real. I fished a tourney at Herrington without a bite the whole day until i ate the damned bananna, and then caught one about 3 minutes later. No banannas in my boat now!

Post Thanks / Like

The bannana in the boat is an age old mariners supersition. It comes from the pirates that used to use banannas as their food on long voyages and would bring aboard crates for the long hauls. When they did they also brought aboard tarantulas and the crew would die off in the night when these spiders would walk about. They would bite the sailors cause so many layed about drunk in the galley. They found that the crew would stop dying if they brought a different food other than bannannas. So started the age old superstition about those evil yellow devils of the water........and that, my fishing friends, is the rest of the story.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

1. Never leave to go fishing drunk. (Safety consideration).

2. Never return home sober. (Makes every trip a good one).

3. Never get rule one and two mixed up. Last time I did I launched at the wrong lake, ran over a no wake buoy, and had to trailer home with a hang-over through a thunder and hail storm. When your head is out the window and heaving your guts up, hail hurts at 65 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Cows laying down fish aint biting