Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love turkey season!

Nope. I only saw one hen, but I tore up the bluegills and small bass in a few farm ponds. On one pond, I hunted until half an hour until dark when I gave up, having not heard a single gobble, and tied a popper on. The fly rod is perfect in these situations, because the rod packs up small and the reel fits in my turkey vest. I caught two really nice eating-size bluegills and got a bunch of hits that I missed.

Sunday morning, I hunted about three hours, the highlight of which was watching a feeding hen for half an hour. Afterwards, I had about 45 minutes before heading back to Louisville, so I got out the fly rod and caught two small bass and about 15 bluegills. They went CRAZY for a size 6 brown wooly bugger with red hackle. For a while, I caught one on every other cast.

I stopped by Fort Knox on the way home hoping to add to the excellent morning, but I only succeeded in sunburning the chrome dome. Still, what a great weekend! Maybe next time I'll leave the shotgun at home! [well, probably not, but it's tempting] Happy angling, folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I love turkey season!

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to find Mr. Tom...but sounds like some fun FFin! I love Turkey season too......gets a lot of guys off the waters!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing like a cast and blast trip. The farm I hunt has a 4 acre lake with some nice bass and bluegills, so we did double duty this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Nope. I only saw one hen, but I tore up the bluegills and small bass in a few farm ponds. On one pond, I hunted until half an hour until dark when I gave up, having not heard a single gobble, and tied a popper on. The fly rod is perfect in these situations, because the rod packs up small and the reel fits in my turkey vest. I caught two really nice eating-size bluegills and got a bunch of hits that I missed.

Sunday morning, I hunted about three hours, the highlight of which was watching a feeding hen for half an hour. Afterwards, I had about 45 minutes before heading back to Louisville, so I got out the fly rod and caught two small bass and about 15 bluegills. They went CRAZY for a size 6 brown wooly bugger with red hackle. For a while, I caught one on every other cast.

I stopped by Fort Knox on the way home hoping to add to the excellent morning, but I only succeeded in sunburning the chrome dome. Still, what a great weekend! Maybe next time I'll leave the shotgun at home! [well, probably not, but it's tempting] Happy angling, folks.
    Sounds like a great day Eddie ! Even though you did not bag a gobbler ! If I would have had a shotgun with me yesterday striper fishing I could have had a gobbler !

BTW, CARRY SOME SUNBLOCK !!! I can relate to the Chrome Dome !

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm jealous but not of that sunburn. Got myself a nice case of sun poisoning a few years ago swimming/fishing in Taylorsville Lake. It wasn't until the next day when my friends and I where taking the tour at Maker's Mark that the scabs started gushing puss and yellow mucus. Just friggin' awesome let me tell you. Good luck with those Gobblers.