Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland NO HYBRIDS

As I was tying the boat down the other evening I heard something from a couple of guys talking to another fella getting ready to head out. One guy said, ''We are fixin to head out and get some of those big Hybrids''. I started to go over and educate but didn't because I've actually had people get red in the face and argue with me on this.

GUYS, ONCE AND FOR ALL.............THERE ARE NO HYBRID STRIPERS IN LAKE CUMBERLAND.

And if there is by chance the KDFWR DOES NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THEM AT ALL............

What this means if you go out and keep stripers under 24 inches and get caught you will get yourself a big fat fine without question.

Not trying to beat anybody up here but it's important to know the laws on any given body of water so if by chance you were confused this will clear it up. If you doubt this call the Department in Frankfort and see if they don't explain to you exactly what I just said.

There are alot of guys fishing that lake keeping undersized stripers thinking it's alright because they think they are catching hybrids, not true.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland NO HYBRIDS

Defineately a hard thing to tell the difference between a Hybrid and a Striper and Mark is correct in that there are no Hybrids in Cumberland. Not the same deal but I had a guy tell me he caught a 100 Stripers the day before at Ky Lake. I tried to tell them they were either hybrids or more likely White Bass but he did not want to hear that, yes I know there are some Stripers in Ky Lake but not a fish that you catch 100 in a day. Until his buddy walked down to the ramp and his buddy told him they were NOT Stripers he still did not believe me. Hybrids, White Bass and Stripers when they are under 20 inches or so are very hard to tell apart, the more harder to tell apart the smaller they are.

Post Thanks / Like

A taxidermist told me that a guy brought in a 20lb striper to mount and asked him to paint it to look like a hybrid. The taxidermist made sure the guy understood that it wasn't a hybrid, but the guy still wanted a hybrid instead. The taxidermist didn't put his signature plaque on that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Did the taxidermist move the two dorsal fins together? LOL Whites have the two dorsals back to back, hybrids have a small gap and stripers have a distinct gap.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to stir up any poo, but sometimes it is easier to refer to all three species generically as "stripes". I do it all the time when on the Ohio River, or any other body of water with a mixture, just to keep the conversation simple. If asked, or when bragging about a specific fish, I will specify the species. Most people that understand the difference will ask if it was a white, striper, or hybrid as well.

I agree wholeheartedly that you must understand the regulation and know the species for the specific body of water that you are fishing. Not only can it cost you some $$$, but you can hurt a population of one fish if you think you have something else, i.e. keeping a bunch of small stripers at C-land because you believe that they are whites or hybrids.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

thank you thank you thank you MHALL ! imagine convincing a paying cutomer he (or help me god) she has to throw their 22 inch "HYBRID" back in lake cumberland. its a job convincing said paying cutomer there are no "HYBRIDS" in cumberland when the guy that lives on their street up in cincinatti just brought a cooler of cumberland "HYBRIDS" home last weekend. regardless of whether they dont come back or not the rule is "24 INCHES OR BACK IN THE LAKE" .....if you want hybrids fish rough river herington or taylorsville. by the way, ive never seen so many short fish in 25 years, this is good information thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just on Lake Cumberland last weekend at night and would have killed for a "hybrid" !! Heck I would have been happy with a fat white bass instead of the big goose egg I kept reeling in...that lake is one tough som' biskit if you dont know it. I will say this that the ramp next to the dam will get your backup skills honed nicely, just ask my brother in law...we about died laughing when he backed down all "2 miles" instead of pulling down and turning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    thank you thank you thank you MHALL ! imagine convincing a paying cutomer he (or help me god) she has to throw their 22 inch "HYBRID" back in lake cumberland. its a job convincing said paying cutomer there are no "HYBRIDS" in cumberland when the guy that lives on their street up in cincinatti just brought a cooler of cumberland "HYBRIDS" home last weekend. regardless of whether they dont come back or not the rule is "24 INCHES OR BACK IN THE LAKE" .....if you want hybrids fish rough river herington or taylorsville. by the way, ive never seen so many short fish in 25 years, this is good information thanks.
    You are welcome sir. Man, you are right I have caught a ton of shorts this year while bass fishing. Bunches and bunches of 18 to 20 inch fish.