Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill bonanza

Tore up the bluegills (and one 2lb bass) last night. My fishing buddy is in for two weeks from Iraq. I caught about25 including the one bass, he caught over 50. Really good size, too. If Ben Franklin said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, bluegills are proof that God wants us to learn to fly fish!!

Oh, yeah. Private lake catch & release. If only I had access more often!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bluegill bonanza

What flys were you guys using? The panfish should be good this week, full moon Wed. night.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Bluegill bonanza

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Tore up the bluegills (and one 2lb bass) last night. My fishing buddy is in for two weeks from Iraq. I caught about25 including the one bass, he caught over 50. Really good size, too. If Ben Franklin said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, bluegills are proof that God wants us to learn to fly fish!!

Oh, yeah. Private lake catch & release. If only I had access more often!
    Good job eddie ! Those BG fight like the dickens for their size don't they ?
    Like Tim asked , What did you use ? Cricket pattern ? Popper ?

Keep up the good work !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    What flys were you guys using? The panfish should be good this week, full moon Wed. night.
    We used a deer hair dry fly that Gerry McDaniel showed me. He made it up for bluegills and poppers. I also caught a handful on a size 6 brown wooly bugger. I'm aching to get back after them!

Post Thanks / Like

Is the deer hair fly similar to a Muddler Minnow? Those are still deadly, but have lost favor among a lot of people.

Post Thanks / Like

Please post more info on the fly used.. size mat'ls used etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, this message will probably be useless, but I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my picture files. SO, here's the description of how it's tied. Using a size 6 Eagle Claw 084R (short shank, large eyelet) hook, tie on a flashabou tail. I use 1 or 2 strands and fold them over as many times as possible to make as big a tail as I can, leaving the tail 1/4 or 1/2 inch long. Next, tie a BIG bunch of deer body hair near the eyelet with the hair extending past the eyelet away from the point of the hook. Trim any unnecessary hair (on the hook point side) to give room to tie on a body. Tie the body using non-absorbent chenile, wool, dubbing or whatever you want, between the tail and deer hair and whip finish it. Then fold the deer hair back over its tie (back toward the hook point) and tie in a collar. This will expose the eyelet again. Last, tie on rubber legs to each side and whip finish. If necessary, cut away any hair that obscures the hook point.

I tried various color combinations of red, purple, olive, brown, black and chartreuse based mainly on what I got in my starter fly tying kit. The brown or olive deer hair seemed to work best.

Clear as mud, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Guys, this message will probably be useless, but I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my picture files. SO, here's the description of how it's tied. Using a size 6 Eagle Claw 084R (short shank, large eyelet) hook, tie on a flashabou tail. I use 1 or 2 strands and fold them over as many times as possible to make as big a tail as I can, leaving the tail 1/4 or 1/2 inch long. Next, tie a BIG bunch of deer body hair near the eyelet with the hair extending past the eyelet away from the point of the hook. Trim any unnecessary hair (on the hook point side) to give room to tie on a body. Tie the body using non-absorbent chenile, wool, dubbing or whatever you want, between the tail and deer hair and whip finish it. Then fold the deer hair back over its tie (back toward the hook point) and tie in a collar. This will expose the eyelet again. Last, tie on rubber legs to each side and whip finish. If necessary, cut away any hair that obscures the hook point.

I tried various color combinations of red, purple, olive, brown, black and chartreuse based mainly on what I got in my starter fly tying kit. The brown or olive deer hair seemed to work best.

Clear as mud, huh?

Now YOU are hooked Eddie ! Welcome , And enjoy the journey !

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Eddie! Nothing funner than gills on the fly....especially on a little 7' 3wt, or something similar. I bet that 2lb bass put up a good fight as well! Good job!

-Rich