Search Fishin.com

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Bluegill bonanza

    Tore up the bluegills (and one 2lb bass) last night. My fishing buddy is in for two weeks from Iraq. I caught about25 including the one bass, he caught over 50. Really good size, too. If Ben Franklin said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, bluegills are proof that God wants us to learn to fly fish!!

    Oh, yeah. Private lake catch & release. If only I had access more often!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    5,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    What flys were you guys using? The panfish should be good this week, full moon Wed. night.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wolf Creek Dam
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Tore up the bluegills (and one 2lb bass) last night. My fishing buddy is in for two weeks from Iraq. I caught about25 including the one bass, he caught over 50. Really good size, too. If Ben Franklin said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, bluegills are proof that God wants us to learn to fly fish!!

    Oh, yeah. Private lake catch & release. If only I had access more often!
    Good job eddie ! Those BG fight like the dickens for their size don't they ?
    Like Tim asked , What did you use ? Cricket pattern ? Popper ?

    Keep up the good work !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    What flys were you guys using? The panfish should be good this week, full moon Wed. night.
    We used a deer hair dry fly that Gerry McDaniel showed me. He made it up for bluegills and poppers. I also caught a handful on a size 6 brown wooly bugger. I'm aching to get back after them!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    5,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Is the deer hair fly similar to a Muddler Minnow? Those are still deadly, but have lost favor among a lot of people.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    knott co ky
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Please post more info on the fly used.. size mat'ls used etc.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Guys, this message will probably be useless, but I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my picture files. SO, here's the description of how it's tied. Using a size 6 Eagle Claw 084R (short shank, large eyelet) hook, tie on a flashabou tail. I use 1 or 2 strands and fold them over as many times as possible to make as big a tail as I can, leaving the tail 1/4 or 1/2 inch long. Next, tie a BIG bunch of deer body hair near the eyelet with the hair extending past the eyelet away from the point of the hook. Trim any unnecessary hair (on the hook point side) to give room to tie on a body. Tie the body using non-absorbent chenile, wool, dubbing or whatever you want, between the tail and deer hair and whip finish it. Then fold the deer hair back over its tie (back toward the hook point) and tie in a collar. This will expose the eyelet again. Last, tie on rubber legs to each side and whip finish. If necessary, cut away any hair that obscures the hook point.

    I tried various color combinations of red, purple, olive, brown, black and chartreuse based mainly on what I got in my starter fly tying kit. The brown or olive deer hair seemed to work best.

    Clear as mud, huh?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wolf Creek Dam
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Guys, this message will probably be useless, but I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my picture files. SO, here's the description of how it's tied. Using a size 6 Eagle Claw 084R (short shank, large eyelet) hook, tie on a flashabou tail. I use 1 or 2 strands and fold them over as many times as possible to make as big a tail as I can, leaving the tail 1/4 or 1/2 inch long. Next, tie a BIG bunch of deer body hair near the eyelet with the hair extending past the eyelet away from the point of the hook. Trim any unnecessary hair (on the hook point side) to give room to tie on a body. Tie the body using non-absorbent chenile, wool, dubbing or whatever you want, between the tail and deer hair and whip finish it. Then fold the deer hair back over its tie (back toward the hook point) and tie in a collar. This will expose the eyelet again. Last, tie on rubber legs to each side and whip finish. If necessary, cut away any hair that obscures the hook point.

    I tried various color combinations of red, purple, olive, brown, black and chartreuse based mainly on what I got in my starter fly tying kit. The brown or olive deer hair seemed to work best.

    Clear as mud, huh?

    Now YOU are hooked Eddie ! Welcome , And enjoy the journey !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bluegill bonanza

    Way to go Eddie! Nothing funner than gills on the fly....especially on a little 7' 3wt, or something similar. I bet that 2lb bass put up a good fight as well! Good job!

    -Rich

Similar Threads

  1. Bonito Bonanza
    By TheBEAST in forum Florida Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
  2. bluegill
    By kyrick in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
  3. Need bluegill HELP!!!!
    By waterproof in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 05:09 PM
  4. Mess of Bluegill
    By zofishkentucky in forum Photos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM
  5. Billfish Bonanza off Ft. Lauderdale
    By captandy in forum Florida Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •