Search Fishin.com

Thread: Line

Post Thanks / Like

Line

Hey trying to get in on some striper action. Went with a 9ft TFO ticr X in a 9 wt. and a 9wt bass bug taper line. Now for the ? tippet and leader material what is a taped furled leader section. What is the best choice for turning a big fly over.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Line

Big Rod , Big line , Big Fly = Big Leader ! Tapered furled leaders turn over very well on my 5-6 Wt rods. And the leaders are made for the WT. If you can get a 9 WT tapered furled leader I am sure you would be happy with it. But you can expect to pay somewhere around $30.00 for it ! Some of my 5-6 Wt ones are around $ 20.00

Good Luck , Let us know what you end up with. I am going to go after them also with a FR someday soon !

Post Thanks / Like

Seen these things in a feather craft catalog. they have one that is called next generation f-c tapered furled leader. In 7-10wt called a bulwhip says that it will turn the biggest of fly fresh or salt. The ad says it is 5ft long then add tippet 12.95 usd. They have a whole page of them for a wide range of application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Bum View Post
    Seen these things in a feather craft catalog. they have one that is called next generation f-c tapered furled leader. In 7-10wt called a bulwhip says that it will turn the biggest of fly fresh or salt. The ad says it is 5ft long then add tippet 12.95 usd. They have a whole page of them for a wide range of application.
    Get one with a small ring in the end where you tie the tippet. Get a floating one , A sinking one, And or controlled sink rates. Then you can add a sinking tip section between your line and leader for faster deeper depth !

Good luck with it ! That is a good price !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Hey just noticed location wolf creek. Do you fish for them rock fish down there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Bum View Post
    Thanks for the info. Hey just noticed location wolf creek. Do you fish for them rock fish down there?
    Been out with a friend a few times pulling boards. Caught 4 the last time out in about 2 hours ! That was pretty fun ! 2 of them was around 34" ! Nice respectable stripers !

Have not been after them with the Fly Rod yet ! Have had some issues with my new boat, And still have to get a FR big enough to handle them. But hopefully I will be able to soon !

Post Thanks / Like

Keep me infoed on what luck you have.

Post Thanks / Like

One day I will to get a Striper on the FR!!! Or I will die trying! I can't even imagine the fight on a FR having fought many on spinning tackle. Man, THEY FIGHT!!! And when they are pushing 20lbs+.......hold on! Good luck in your endevour. Sounds like Rock has you on the right track.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Yep love catching them on spinning I have been using a rapala style top water stick bait with great fun. My buddy has started tossing a spoon at them and they love it also. That is what got me start on the FR thinking. I have watched on tv and youtube those on the east coast guys and does that look insane. I think that i have just about got them pattern here. So got some big flies tyed and rod & reel ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever try furling their own leaders? Once saw someone doing it at a show in San Diego, didn't look impossible. Any advice? I think I should stay away from the off topic forum...