Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye's at CJ Brown (near Springfield)

Does anybody have any advise of fishing for Walleye's at CJ Brown?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Walleye's at CJ Brown (near Springfield)

Wow does that lake ever bring back 12 years of great memories.

1 - As you look at the water from the boat ramp, turn 90 deg left and go out 200 yards + and start looking for 9-10' then where it drops to 30+. I've got $100's of dollars worth of lures and jiggin spoons there. LOL

2 - The mouth at the entrance of the spillway. Put boat in about 25' and cast towards the shallow opening and work the drop.

3 - Old road bed past right hand point in upper lake fish either side of it with crankbaits or may even try Erie Deeries.

4 - I've caught a few along the dam but that would be my last choice.

Spots 1 & 2 were always my favorites especially 1.

I used to fish that lake weekly until 1st weekend in Dec. Then I'd winterize my boat.

My favorite lure was Bass Pro Shop 3/4 oz jiggin spoon (Strata) rigged with a ball bearing snap swivel. I'd use no NLT 12# and preferred 15# Big Game. I noticed the lighter the line the more bites. Fluorocarbon may be your best bet. I also changed the trebles out & threw the OE hooks away. I put on wire hooks so in case I got snagged I could straighten the hook. Also easier to bend the barbs down for quick release.

If walleye aren't your thing you can ALWAYS load your livewells with white bass. I've never fished a body of water in the Buckeye where I could consistently catch them on almost every outing. Before I retired, the guys at the base used to love for me to have fish fries. You guessed it - they got the white bass - I got the walleyes. Also white rooster tails work VERY well on the white bass too.

I've since moved to FL and have had to learn how to catch these stupid green fish. But while you shoveled snow I was wettin my line.

Please let us know how you do. I truly miss the days of CJ, Indian, and Caesars. Indian Lake is excellent for saugeye too. Fish any of the bridges with crankbaits. The fish there are really dumb and seemed to eat anything. LOL Wish the hell they were like that here in FL.

Save some for seed

Ambassador for WFN
    Steve Henderson
    AKA F16

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. We are heading there this Saturday but there is a cold front coming in so might not be that good. I want to get the boat out and run a little before heading to Lake Cumberland the next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Been awhile but a silver and blue spoon on the east side of the island.