Search Fishin.com

Thread: Nolin Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin Lake

I'm wondering if anybody here who is familiar with Nolin can tell me whether it will be in decent shape to fish next weekend (May 15-16th)?

Right now the Corps website says it's 7.7 feet above summer pool.

I'm running a small co-worker tourney and none of us are familiar with the lake. I just want folks to catch a few fish and most of all be safe.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nolin Lake

Went down to Nolin this evening. Veiwed wax, Nolin Estates, Iberia and Conalaway. Wax marina looks like a lumber yard. Only about 6 full parking spaces that werent under water at ramp. Main channel of lake looked surprisingly clear. Saw an occasional log, but I was In my truck. Nolin River is dropping so lake is setteling down. most drift wood is along the shore. If I had my boat I would put in. Ramps were cluttered with lumber so launching would be a small challenge, but not impossible. I would'nt change my plan to fish it other than muddy water. Then again I was in my truck and not on the water. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin will be ok down lake. There is always a debris line that starts around wax or maybe a little further down lake but it won't go very far until they start pulling the lake down. Then the wood and mudline will start moving down lake. I doubt it'll be down to summer pool by next weekend but it'll be fishable. Tell them all to bring their flipping sticks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Any more input?

Post Thanks / Like

i looked to today and it was 12ft above summer pool. my guess is this will probably move the bass shallow as much of the land vegatation will now be under water providing new food sources. there will be a lot of new trees and weeds underwater.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Nolin for a couple hours this evening. Put in @ Moutardier and the water was up to the turn around on the ramp. Water clarity was really good. We worked the shoreline flipping and managed a dozen with two keepers, biggest was 3.2lbs. Only fished for two and a half hours, so not to bad. The fish are pushed way up in the flooded trees, so you got to go in after them.

-Rich