Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

West Virginia fly fishin - advice needed

Hi All,

I'm new to the board and new to fly fishin. I've been an avid bass fisherman for over 30 years. I got hooked on fly fishing over the past year because I was working with a client in Spokane, WA. I live in Louisville but spent the better part of last year in Washington only a few miles from the Idaho border. I had lots of weekends away from the family and with nothin to do but go fishin! I did a few guided trips on the Coeur d'Alene river last fall and fell in love with fly fishin. Only caught a handful of small cut throats but, man, what a great way to fish!

In two weeks I'm starting to work with a new client in Beverly, WV. From what I've read, it's prime trout country. I'm a beginner so I need some advice. I can't really afford to hire a guide so I want to pick up a selection of basic tackle to take with me. I have a nice rod and reel bought in Idaho, a good pair of Sims waders and boots, a bunch of leaders and tippets that the guide gave me, and a nice Fishpond vest. I was hoping to pick up a handful of all-around, must have flies to take with me. What do you guys suggest?

Also, Beverly is near Elkins, WV. Anyone have experience fishin in this area? I plan to try to hit the water in the evenings after work. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Virginia fly fishin - advice needed

You might want to wait until you actually go to the area to get your flys. A lot are generic but seems like every area has it's favorites. Check with a local W.Va. fly shop regarding flys, weights, colors, etc. Might cost a little more but their advice is usually worth it. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense...thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice from oldhipboots. Keep in mind that local fly shops earn their return business by giving good advice. They could also point you in the direction of public access fishing spots. For now, I'd google any fly shops in the area. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely hit up the local fly shops around the waters you will be fishing. They will up-to-date on the hottest flies at that time, and have them there for the pickings. Just be prepared to spend some $$$ for them, lol! But make sure to have the basics with you:

bh pheasant tails
    bh hares ears
    bh princes
    bh zebras
    san juans
    copper johns and brassies
    bh buggers
    streamers
    and an assortment of dries to match the hatch.

GOOD LUCK!!!

-Rich