Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

onboard charger question

I have had a 3 bank Cabelas onboard charger for over 10 years on my boat with a 24 volt trolling motor. The charger is starting to act up - not coming on when I plug it in sometimes and leaving my TM batteries low. With its age I am thinking of replacing it but my question is whether to go with another 3 bank or 2 bank to just cover the TM batteries only. Although mine is a 3 bank I took the leads off of my starting battery some time ago because it seemed to keep running low on water and I felt the charger was doing it. I have not had any charging issues with the starting battery since and in my mind I don't think I need a 3 bank but I am curious as to how others rig their onboards. I appreciate any thoughts regarding onboards and starting batteries...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: onboard charger question

My opinion is that the starting battery shouldnt need a charger unless you dont do a whole lot of running on teh outboard. I think its a good idea to NOT have a charger for it because it may help you know when your alternator/generator is failing instead of masking it with a wall charge every day.

but take it for what it is worth, i am not a boat owner, i simply ride along with the father.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought my charger was on the frits and I found my - wire was loose at the end. Put new termination on it and she's like new. Dont over look your connection ouer time they can wear.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get the 2 bank. I've always been afraid a charger could damage my outboards charging system or vice-versa. I do charge my starter battery with a charger once in awhile especially if I'm doing a lot of night fishing but I'll always disconnect the cables before doing so. Most newer outboards have no problem keeping the battery charged anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I thought my charger was on the frits and I found my - wire was loose at the end. Put new termination on it and she's like new. Dont over look your connection ouer time they can wear.
    I had trouble with mine and it ended up being the extition cords 3 proung plug.

Post Thanks / Like

same here, have had the same kind of trouble with a few of the remote chargers that turned out to be loose wires on the clamps but i am not sure how your connectors connect being an on-board charger. it would be worth looking into though.

i agree with the running battery....no need to charge. maybe a trickle if it isnt going to be used for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I have had a 3 bank Cabelas onboard charger for over 10 years on my boat with a 24 volt trolling motor. The charger is starting to act up - not coming on when I plug it in sometimes and leaving my TM batteries low. With its age I am thinking of replacing it but my question is whether to go with another 3 bank or 2 bank to just cover the TM batteries only. Although mine is a 3 bank I took the leads off of my starting battery some time ago because it seemed to keep running low on water and I felt the charger was doing it. I have not had any charging issues with the starting battery since and in my mind I don't think I need a 3 bank but I am curious as to how others rig their onboards. I appreciate any thoughts regarding onboards and starting batteries...

kc
    my boat came with a built in charger, that charges my two trolling batteries. and I bought one at walmart for about 50.00 that I use to charge my starting battery with. every time I return from fishing, I put all my batteries on charge. and leave them on the chargers until i'm ready to go fishing again. never had any problems, and this way works great for me.

Post Thanks / Like

When the problem started I checked out the connections and had to replace one. The connections are good but it is hit or miss whether it will come on or not. It used to come on with a red light as soon as you plug it in and now it rarely does that and sometimes after being plugged in for 10 or 15 minutes it will come on (and sometimes not which is the problem). The connections are good but the electronics are getting flaky...

Post Thanks / Like

Just add water marine on dixie hwy sell (reman) pro chargers less than half the price of a new one. mine works great and looks just like a new one. its hard to beat a pro-charger. here is their number if needed (502) 937-4291 they are closed on sunday and mondays.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a running charger that charges your trolling motor when the main motor is running. I absolutely love it. Charge you trolling motor at home before your trip and no worries the rest of the weekend. As long as you boat motor is running then you trolling motor battery is charging. If the boat motor is not running, it automatically disconnects the circuit so you don't run your boat motor battery down when trolling. Bass Pro Shop $100. I don't have the model number with me but it is made by Minn Kota