Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hybrids on parking lots @ Barren

We have been having a blast the last few days catching hybrids on flooded parking lots! We have limited out both days in rapid fashion! Find any flooded parking lots and the hybrids are on them. Not sure how much longer this will last with water being pulled, so go get them while ya can! We caught them on cranks, spinners, spoons, Erie Dearies.....and we saw plenty caught on worms and livers. Fun stuff!

-Rich

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Hybrids on parking lots @ Barren

Rick, thanks for the heads up.

I never knew fish parked. I knew they schooled. Ya know what? All those years of fisherman emptying thier livewells in the parking lot have finally paid off. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, what size hybrids were you catching? I remember a long while back when the lake flooded, people telling me they tore the hybrids up fishing over the parking lot at the peninsula. Wonder what it is about the parking lot they like so much.

What ramp were you able to put in at? I'm thinking about trying them later today.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont fish for hybrids, but i may know the answer to this question as to why they are on the parking lots. i read a book about bass (mainly largemouth) that was written by a researcher for berkley baits. it was about studies they have done on bass at thier research facility while making baits. according to what this book says, the blacktop should be warmer than anything else around it. kinda like when you go out in the summer without shoes on and step on concrete vs your blacktop driveway. anyway, the book says it is unknown how bass can detect the water changes in temp, but they can be put into a pool with water 1 degree warmer at a certain part and reguardless of where bass are placed in the pool they will automatically go to the warmer area. the cool thing is, they dont even swim the rest of the pool to make sure that is the warmest area. its like they can detect it automatically. since the water temp has been 70 ish. i would say its 75 or better over the blacktop. and with whats in the book they like 78-80 degree best. this was about largemouth, so maybe it kinda the same for hybrids? did anyone catch any largemouth on parking lots also. if so i guess it would add credibility that maybe there is a correlation. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 main reasons fish come to the parking lots. 1) as mentioned above because it is warmer 2) when it rains all the worms come to the parking lots, just as they do in your driveway. Its a field day for the fish to come and eat live worms.