Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question please read, really strange...

I decided to walk over to a pond yesterday afternoon when I fishinshed planting my dads garden, took my 2 girls and my girlfriends 2 girls with me. When we left dads he commented we might have 15-20 min to fish it was thundering down south around e-town, but since the pond is only maybe 150 yrds away that means some fishing. After about 20 min it started to sprinkle and my 2 girls and 1 of Kims started walking back to my parents. I decided to make a few more cast when something really freaky happened, my rod ( 7ft) started making a really weird sound kinda like a humming sound and shook for a second then lightning hit right in front of me. I tossed it down and jumped back but nothing more happened. I took the last girl and my backside out of there. My daughter seen the lightning hit the pond as she put it right in front of you. That has never happened before anyone else ever heard of a pole making a noise like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: please read, really strange...

HOLY CRAP..............man you're lucky. I've not heard of that. Graphite is a GREAT conductor, and I wonder if that is what happened.

Also........a few years ago there was an ad in the fishing magazines for a Berkely Lightning rod. As the story goes, the guy fishing was using one of those and he was struck by lightening. Funny thing, the rod absorbed most of the strike and he was OK. THE picture of the rod was really interesting.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

No, but once I was on Barren fishing in an electrical storm condition day the sky's were really charged, I made a long cast was letting out slack for bait to sink and the excess line started raising up to the sky, I put that rod down. The one thing I'm most frightened of in the world is lightening.

Post Thanks / Like

It obviously wasn't your "time" to go. I had a couple of friends that a tree got struck while they we in a golf cart nearby and they both claimed that just before the hit that their hair felt like it stood up in the direction of the tree.

Ky Trophy Fish Guest

You are a lucky man.Go buy a lottery ticket.Rod humming was static electricity buildup precluding the lightning strike.Have seen line leviate above water and hair stand straight out from static electricity during thunder strorms.Been bit once at Lone Valley ramp on Green tieing boat down when lightning hit across parking lot.Several of us at ramp got a shock like hitting electric fence.On Cumberland River was hunkered down under a bluff during storm and lightning hit tree above us on top of bluff,felt heat from strike and nearly went deaf for a little while.Before strike,hair was standing out and air actually felt tingley . Makes you have some respect for Mother Nature!

Post Thanks / Like

this guy I know, told me his neighbors were having a yard sale, and a storm was brewing off in the distance, so they started moving their yard sale stuff inside. his little sister was the last one in line, to cary something inside. when they came back out for to take something else inside. his little sister had been hit with lighting, and was dead. he said the lighting they had been seeing was a good 10 miles or more away.

Post Thanks / Like

It's scary how far out in front of a storm you can see lightning strikes sometimes. I was at a horse farm in Chesapeake City, MD once, on a beautiful, sunny day, when I heard the loudest BANG I've ever heard in my life. It was so loud my first thought was it was a stray shell from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. They're about 15 miles away, and you'd occasionally hear distant booms from there. Scared the hell out of everybody, including the horses. The owner of the farm was outside at the time, and she heard a buzzing sound traveling around their electric fence just before it hit. Turns out a transformer a couple hundred yards away had been hit by lightning, apparently a ground-to-air strike. Within about a half hour it went from sunny skies to a thunderstorm with heavy rains, hail, and lots of lightning, but I know that storm had to be at least 10 miles away when that strike happened.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can hear the thunder...it can get you...you are lucky, this time.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lot in St pete FL When you fish on the Sunshine Skyway Pier as soon as you see lightning you stop fishing an get in your car. I have seen lightning look 10 miles away and then you will hear a huming noise running down the pier metal railing. There have been several people killed there from holding their rods and the rail even when it looks like the lightning is way off.

Post Thanks / Like

if you look in last months field and stream magazine they had an article about ligthing striking a graphite rod. it blew him out of the water. you got lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

thank god you were not using one of gilbert frydaddy's solid steel 8ft. flippin sticks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching an Elite Series event on Kentucky Lake a few years ago and you could hear the pro's rods buzzing on TV. It was pretty impressive.