Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Custom rod locker box for sale

Rod Box: A more secure way to store fishing rods on-board or while in transit.

I always worry about the security of my fishing rods when the boat's docked overnight at the marina and I'm tucked away in the motel room. Similarly, on the way to the water, rods stored in an open towed boat, or in the bed of a pickup truck can "walk-away" if unattended during stops for supplies, meals, or gas. You can't be 100% sure any measure you take will work all the time, as improvements in security are always meant with advanced methods to overcome security devices. While we can't stop the professional, we slow him down. We can deter some would-be thieves by making our property more difficult to pickup and walk away with, more time consuming to steal, and therefore less attractive as a target.

The Rod Box I've built helps me to safeguard, as well as organize and transport my fishing rods. The rod box holds about 12 rods, ranging from heavy saltwater gear to light freshwater rigs. It accommodates rods to 8 foot long, and casting, trolling and spinning reels. Basically, its a wood box, with a secure door, that allows rods with reels attached to be stored inside. The rods extend through a slot in t he top of the box, reducing the boxes size, and making it possible to carry the box more easily when rods are inside. The reels are secure, because the locked door keeps them out of harms way, and the slot in the top of the box prevents rod and reel removal, because the reels attached to the rod can't be pulled thru the top slot. The box filled with rods can be chained or cabled to the inside of a pickup bed, onboard to a cleat or rail, or at the dock, to a piling or dock cleat for security. One lock secures the box door and hasp, and can secure the box to a chain or cable.

The box is built of Pine 1 X 10, 1X 4, 1 X 2, and 1/8 inch plywood. Common hardware is used to outfit and provide security for the box. Building mine took about 5 hours, mainly because I had to decide on dimensions that would accommodate thick rods, with long handles, and heavy reels. The average do-it-yourselfer could probably built the box in about 2 hours.

Ready to go for $75.00, bobhamme@comcast.net, 270-735-7814 to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3270001.JPG 
Views:	538 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	1608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3270002.JPG 
Views:	523 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	1609  

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Custom rod locker box for sale

Okay 50 bucks, or $25 and a bottle of Makers Mark.