Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Taylorsville Wildlife

I was on taylorsville last week and was fishing way up ashes creek ( i think thats what it is called) and saw the head of a furry animal swimmin through the flooded timbers. I was wondering if this is more likely to have been a Beaver or River Otter...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taylorsville Wildlife

my guess would be river otter. They released some at the tailwaters about 20 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

It could have been a muskrat...or even a groundhog.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen Otters quite a few times out there. Last time I saw them, it was a group of about 3-4 young ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I've waded Ashes Creek through the WMA down to the lake many times and seen otter just about every time I go. I once had a gang of three, very large males, poke up and come right out of the water where I was standing on the bank. Right where Ashes opens up into the lake there is a lot of standing timber, a very shallow flat, and the creek channel. Well, they must have been deep in the creek channel because many times you can see their wake in the shallows, or they pop up here and there in the distance. These dudes came onto the bank with a purpose having no idea that there I was smack-dab in their path. You know how otters are just so sleek and slender they pop up out of the water with little effort and no noise. The three did just that and I'm standing dumbfounded less than 5 feet away and they are coming straight towards me. Everything happened so suddenly, and I was so shocked that they got to within about 2 feet of me before I hooted and hollered. The first one bucked right up onto his hind legs, let out a bark alarm-call, and bolted back into the water with the other two trailing not far behind. They resurfaced in the water about 10 feet away with a chorus of barks and alarm-calls and plenty of attitude. Every since, I do not use my stealthy, ninja-like, wading skills when I fish Ashes Creek, but rather sing loudly and make plenty of noise so those devils know I'm coming.

Another tip I've learned related to the otters around Taylorsville, and Ashes specifically, watch out if you wade it during fur-trapping season or you might be what steps in the trap.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen several beavers on T-ville, as well as otters. Can't really say that I am overly fond of either species.

Post Thanks / Like

At least the beavers don't eat fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Could be either. I have seen both there before. Although normally if I see a beaver you can hear them slapping their tales. That's a noise that's hard to miss!