Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Boone, let's hear it

how was Troutfest? Where are the pics? C'mon man, spill the beans.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Okay Boone, let's hear it

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    how was Troutfest? Where are the pics? C'mon man, spill the beans.
    Ya we wanna hear how great it was !!!

Post Thanks / Like

TroutFest 2010...WOW…What can I say..SENSORY OVER LOAD!!!!
    First, thanks to Tim for the heads up on this event. For a new/want to be FF.., this was just what the Doc would have ordered. Two days of casting clinics, fly tying, exhibits…., on and on. Sorry you weren’t able to make it Tim…….So much going on, I could have used and experienced guide.
    For me, the BEST, did I say BEST?, was the casting clinics. First, Lefty Krech….what a guy. Changed my whole prospective on how to Cast the Fly LINE! No more power cast, just use your body in conjunction with speed and quick stops…..man, does that line shoot out….He Haw….

Then this guy known as Bob Clouser..he..hee!, seems he knows a little something about tying and casting that heavy stuff (something about minnows?), without it coming back from the back cast and catching you in the ass!!!, or the head. Great clinic, but missed a lot of the detail. Seems the thing to do is push off with your forehand on the backcast/forecast to to keep the (fly, streamer, etc from hitting your rod OR back of your HEAD.
    Then, there’s Joe Humphreys, who demonstrated casting techniques for fishing TIGHT streams. After spending Monday morning on the trails on the headwaters of Little River, I realize I need MUCH MORE instruction and practice on casting the short game…..no back cast allowed!! Good thing I purchased a copy of Joe’s book," Joe Humphrey's Trout Tactics". Just in case any of you venture into the upper reaches of little river (East Fork) and run out of flies, just look up into the trees and GOD will bless you with your needs…courtesy of Boone.
    Then there was an opportunity to meet Jim Casada, life long resident of the Smoky region, life time fisherman, historian, teacher and author of one of the best books I believe I have ever read; AGAIN THANKS TO TIM FOR THE HEADS UP ON THIS GREAT READ. Did I buy the book?, your bet chu!! “Fly fishing in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park ( An insider’s Guide to a Pursuit of Passion).

Know this is a short post, but just got home AND I’M SO FIRED UP, UP, UP, I’M HEADED BACK TO THE MOUNTAINS LATER THIS WEEK, HOPING TO BEAT THE POST HOLIDAY GROWD. Anyone interested in joining me, I’ll be in one of the campgrounds. Thinking of hiking and fishing Abrams creek. Also, have a STRONG desire for fish Meggs Creek. Just have to get that short/no back cast thing down!!!

Tim, I’ll sort out the photo’s and post later. GOT TO GET THINGS IN ORDER AT THE HOUSE SO I CAN LEAVE AND GO FISH FOR A WEEK!!
    Gary

Last edited by FlyLie; 05-17-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had a good time Gary. I hated to miss it, but it is the price you pay for having indoor plumbing in this day and age. I was looking forward to Jim's backcountry presentation because it is a subject that he is so knowledgeable about. Plus, I thought it would be nice to meet face to face with my sponsor in SEOPA lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a few photo's in my album "Smoky Mountains", taken at Troutfest 2010 : http://www.fishin.com/forums2/album.php?albumid=125

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Here's a link to a few photo's in my album "Smoky Mountains", taken at Troutfest 2010 : http://www.fishin.com/forums2/album.php?albumid=125

Nice pics Boone. Watching Lefty cast is like watching Michael Jordan play basketball!

Post Thanks / Like

Boone-
    Thanks for the update! Sounded like a blast! I really hope to be able to make it next year.

Tim-
    Bummer you didn't get to go like you had planned. I'm assuming you had some plumbing issues at the house. Hope you got that all fixed up.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Boone-
    Thanks for the update! Sounded like a blast! I really hope to be able to make it next year.

Tim-
    Bummer you didn't get to go like you had planned. I'm assuming you had some plumbing issues at the house. Hope you got that all fixed up.

-Rich

LOL Rich, plumbing issues is an understatement. Had to get a good chunk of my front yard dug up to replace a water line. It is okay though, at least it happened when I had the money and plus, I have been fortunate to attend troutfest before. Just wish I would have had a chance to meet Boone in person.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice picks, looks like it was a blast. Also looks like right below that little waterfall might just be a good spot near dusk. I need to get back in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    TroutFest 2010...WOW…What can I say..SENSORY OVER LOAD!!!!
    First, thanks to Tim for the heads up on this event. For a new/want to be FF.., this was just what the Doc would have ordered. Two days of casting clinics, fly tying, exhibits…., on and on. Sorry you weren’t able to make it Tim…….So much going on, I could have used and experienced guide.
    For me, the BEST, did I say BEST?, was the casting clinics. First, Lefty Krech….what a guy. Changed my whole prospective on how to Cast the Fly LINE! No more power cast, just use your body in conjunction with speed and quick stops…..man, does that line shoot out….He Haw….

Then this guy known as Bob Clouser..he..hee!, seems he knows a little something about tying and casting that heavy stuff (something about minnows?), without it coming back from the back cast and catching you in the ass!!!, or the head. Great clinic, but missed a lot of the detail. Seems the thing to do is push off with your forehand on the backcast/forecast to to keep the (fly, streamer, etc from hitting your rod OR back of your HEAD.
    Then, there’s Joe Humphreys, who demonstrated casting techniques for fishing TIGHT streams. After spending Monday morning on the trails on the headwaters of Little River, I realize I need MUCH MORE instruction and practice on casting the short game…..no back cast allowed!! Good thing I purchased a copy of Joe’s book," Joe Humphrey's Trout Tactics". Just in case any of you venture into the upper reaches of little river (East Fork) and run out of flies, just look up into the trees and GOD will bless you with your needs…courtesy of Boone.
    Then there was an opportunity to meet Jim Casada, life long resident of the Smoky region, life time fisherman, historian, teacher and author of one of the best books I believe I have ever read; AGAIN THANKS TO TIM FOR THE HEADS UP ON THIS GREAT READ. Did I buy the book?, your bet chu!! “Fly fishing in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park ( An insider’s Guide to a Pursuit of Passion).

Know this is a short post, but just got home AND I’M SO FIRED UP, UP, UP, I’M HEADED BACK TO THE MOUNTAINS LATER THIS WEEK, HOPING TO BEAT THE POST HOLIDAY GROWD. Anyone interested in joining me, I’ll be in one of the campgrounds. Thinking of hiking and fishing Abrams creek. Also, have a STRONG desire for fish Meggs Creek. Just have to get that short/no back cast thing down!!!

Tim, I’ll sort out the photo’s and post later. GOT TO GET THINGS IN ORDER AT THE HOUSE SO I CAN LEAVE AND GO FISH FOR A WEEK!!
    Gary

Boone, Whatever you do !!! DO NOT go into the Orvis store and handle one of those rods that weigh about 2.5 OZ ! ! ! Just trust me on this !