Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Surf Fishing Tybee

I love to surf fish! I usually surf fish in Destin, Ft. Walton, and Indian Pass, all in FL. However, I am going to stay around home this year and try my luck at Tybee. I fish for Blacktips, Bonnetheads, and Sharpnose Sharks in Indian Pass. I fish for Tarpon, Lady Fish, and Mackrel in Destin/Ft. Walton. I'm not sure exactly what I need to try when I get to Tybee. I do not want to go to the pier and fish around EVERYBODY. So, I assume the best place (from the surf) is the north point of the island at the mouth of the river. I will be there June 8. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know of any bait/lures and/or locations.

Thank you so much in advance for any tips you can provide!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surf Fishing Tybee

I fished there last May. West of the peir is a public beach area and yes there can be lots of people there. There is a rock pile extending about 25 to 30 feet out. There is a wash on boths sides of the end of the pile. I fished as the tide was coming in; just as the water began to cover the end of the pile the fish started bitting, reds, drum, sheephead, trout and whiting. I used fresh dead shrimp, salted. I caught more fish in a week than ever. The locals fish this area quite a bit so you will likely see them throughout the week. Fishing was best early in the morning if the tide was coming in. Let me know how you do. I will be heading to South Fl a week after you're in Tybee. Nothing beats surf fishing. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I've been to Tybee many times but never to fish. I've seen people fishing the south jetty and it look like a good spot. I will surely try there. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good spot. For the best Tybee Island fishing or surf fishing for that matter, I recommend you go three circle hooks with squid or shrimp. Shrimp tend to come off a lot easier. Get a PVC ppe, throw over the breakers and wait and see.