Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Three springs lake ?????

I live in Bowling Green, Ky and have tried fishing at three springs lake all my life, with little luck. When I went on shock trips with the fish and wildlife dept. last year they told me that they've pulled 9 and 10 pound bass out of there. I could hardly believe it!

So i wanted to know if anybody on here had ever had any luck on three springs lake, with any species of fish, because i know there in there, but can't seem to find the trick to successfully landing a big one... any advice or tips would be AWESOME!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three springs lake ?????

I have fished there several times in my life. I grew up in Woodburn and fished there as i got older. If you have a canoe you can get to them and several different forms of fishing is available there. You can fish it just like you would anywhere with a change of weather and lures the biggest bass I ever caught was around 6lbs and it was great. This lake gave me a start on fishing and really bass fishing. They are there and I have caught them cranking topwater and jigs and rigs depends on where and when. If you have a depth finder hook it up to a battery and a small trolling motor you will be surprised on what you find hidden under the water. it could have changed because I haven't been on it since late 90's or early 2000's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aman555 View Post
    I live in Bowling Green, Ky and have tried fishing at three springs lake all my life, with little luck. When I went on shock trips with the fish and wildlife dept. last year they told me that they've pulled 9 and 10 pound bass out of there. I could hardly believe it!

So i wanted to know if anybody on here had ever had any luck on three springs lake, with any species of fish, because i know there in there, but can't seem to find the trick to successfully landing a big one... any advice or tips would be AWESOME!!!
    I have fished Three Springs for ten years now and have never seen nor heard of bass that size coming from there. I have covered that entire lake with my jon boat with no size to mention. I just find it hard to believe that it could sustain bass of that size being that it is so shallow with little forage. Most of it is mud bottom, and only a couple feet deep. It can be good for bluegills, crackers, and catfish........but the biggest bass I have ever caught out of there was pushing a pound and a half. JMHO.

Oh yeah, and it is good for planter rainbows during the winter months.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I had a guy tell me he caught some nice crappie in there a few yrs. back and I think they are on the trout stocking list. If there are bass in there that size they probably like to eat those 6" trout. It's been closed since the flood. Raw sewage spilled into it and they have health hazard warnings on all the gates.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok you fished it for ten years I have been there over 20 years and yes they are in there. When I got my licenses 15 yrs ago we had a little float boat and caught alot of good fish. Started there with rooster tails bought at Crossroads market in Woodburn. I have fished it in years so maybe it has been fished out it does get alot of pressure for such a small area. i wish they would make it catch and release so everyone could enjoy it like I did yrs ago. I hope you have good luck and maybe if we all work together we could change regulations to keep it a good fishery to pass on to our kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read they stock 3 Springs Lake with Catfish 4 times per year (2900 each time) and trout 3 times per year. I went there twice this week and we caught a couple of catfish, but they were small and we released them.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you guys seen any Carp up in the shallows???

Post Thanks / Like

I took my five year old daughter there a couple of weeks ago. Something big took her bait and ran with it fast and then broke her line, probably a catfish.

It was real funny to see her reaction to the drag buzzing and the line flying out, she looked at me and quickly said, "I didn't do it". I think she thought something was wrong. She has since named the fish "Big Rosemary" and has promised she will catch her one day.