Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crank Bait colors

I fish Barren primarily and am going to be building my crankbait collection some. Presently I have some ShadRaps and a couple Wiggle Warts. I am looking for insight as to what to get. I am going to get some shallow cranks/wakebaits...and some deep divers for fishing deep water during the hot summer... I know Sexy Shad is one color I am going to buy to work in all depths...what other colors are good???

Reds?
    Chartreuse?
    straight Chrome black?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crank Bait colors

Just get different depths in rootbeer. You wont need any others.

Post Thanks / Like

Norman Deep Little N, Tropical Shad for spring is about all I need for lakes like Barren. Tropical Shad is Chartr with some Blue and Yellow mixed in with a little red on the side. Any Chartr and Blue mix is a good color for spring at low land river system lakes like Ky and Barkley, Barren, Nolin, Rough, Taylorsville and other similar lakes. I also like shad color, Sexy Shad and crawdad colors are pretty much the only 4 colors that I have in my box.

Norman Deep Little N
    Bomber
    Lucky Craft

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to -

Fire Tiger (Bomber Model A's 7 & 8 )
    RED with black coachdog markings (Luhr Jensen Hot Lips)
    Light Brown crawfish w/orange belly (Rebel Wee R)
    Baby Bass w/chartreuse belly (Wiggle Wart)
    Grey Ghost (Hellbender)

Hey, I'm old school .... LOL !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this will help? Talk about confusion.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/IMG_0454.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going shallow with crankbaits (less than 10 feet), I have caught more fish on a rootbeer/chart. bandit. Bandits are my favorite shallow crankbaits - and I have used them on about every lake in Ky. I have also done good in bone, bluegill and craw colors. But bandits are about the only shallow crankbaits I buy anymore - like them better than high dollar ones.

On deep diving, just like Elwood said - that blue back with chartruse sides or belly for some reason seems to work better than most others. All companies make one. Lucky Craft is my favorite, but I also like Rapala parrot (a little less $$$), and DD-22's. The big Bombers are great too, but they don't have as many color's to choose from. The best bang for you buck, would have to be the DD-22's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    If I am going shallow with crankbaits (less than 10 feet), I have caught more fish on a rootbeer/chart. bandit. Bandits are my favorite shallow cra nkbaits- and I have used them on about every lake in Ky. I have also done good in bone, bluegill and craw colors. But bandits are about the only shallow crankbaits I buy anymore - like them better than high dollar ones.

On deep diving, just like Elwood said - that blue back with chartruse sides or belly for some reason seems to work better than most others. All companies make one. Lucky Craft is my favorite, but I also like Rapala parrot (a little less $$$), and DD-22's. The big Bombers are great too, but they don't have as many color's to choose from. The best bang for you buck, would have to be the DD-22's
    I always had very good luck on the silver minnow sparkle colored bandit in the 200 series

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fishing Barren mostly and just fishing for fun. I would recomend a Spatterback. It is white, with black spatters, and a yellow belly. You can throw the 200 Series and catch LM and Hybrid. Its a great bait to cover water at Barren and have a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

With deep cranks I like a Bomber Fat Free shad in citrus. For shallow cranks in early spring a Spro Lil John in chartruse/blue and summertime I like a RC 2.0 in chartruse sexy shad. These are my confidence colors under normal water clarity conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Basically what everyone else said:

Natural shad and crawdad colors for clear water.

Loud and bright colors, along with "matte" and darker colors for stained and muddy water.

Keep it simple. You don't need 500 crankbaits to cover the spectrum. If you did invest in 500, chances are that 490 of them never see the water. I used to think I needed so many colors but found out that when you keep it simple you get better results. My extras are now in the hands of new owners.

Post Thanks / Like

What elnut already posted is great info. I would take heed to that particular post.

Post Thanks / Like

what do you guys think about the Koppers Live Target Blue Gill for a shallow blugill pattern???