Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Snakes

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Snakes

The KY Department of Fish and Wildlif has a great PDF pamphlet about snakes in KY. Go to:

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/kysnakebook.pdf

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky Snakes

I have several of those books here in my office for people to look at to help them know one snake from another. I think every resident of KY should get one of these books. It is so bad where I work, that I got a call about a copperhead that was killed, and they wanted me to come an positively identify it. When I got there, it was a garter snake. It is sad when people kill snakes just because they don't know any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Coolest snake I've ever seen is the Rough Green Snake. It was about as round as a pencil and was maybe 2 to 3ft long. He was just making his way along through the greenery of some shrubs, going from shrub top to shrub. Saw him in Fulton while doing some survey work around the rail yard.

Also came eye to eye with a Mississippi Green Water Snake - was in the far reaches of west Ky along the Mississippi River doing a boundary survey for a wetland reserve. Was knee deep in kudzu and moving vines out of the way to see where I was going; went to reach for a vine to move it and the dang vine moved...wasn't a vine but a snake instead. It dropped to the ground, and I couldn't see the ground due to the kudzu. It was then that I decided surveying wasn't for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Coolest snake I've ever seen is the Rough Green Snake. It was about as round as a pencil and was maybe 2 to 3ft long. He was just making his way along through the greenery of some shrubs, going from shrub top to shrub. Saw him in Fulton while doing some survey work around the rail yard.

Also came eye to eye with a Mississippi Green Water Snake - was in the far reaches of west Ky along the Mississippi River doing a boundary survey for a wetland reserve. Was knee deep in kudzu and moving vines out of the way to see where I was going; went to reach for a vine to move it and the dang vine moved...wasn't a vine but a snake instead. It dropped to the ground, and I couldn't see the ground due to the kudzu. It was then that I decided surveying wasn't for me.
    Dude, no disrespect, but I can't see how any hairy-chested American man can publically admit to being afraid of snakes. Especially a man from a state as MANLY as Kentucky. Are you afraid they are going to eat your toy poodle?

HA HA! I am just giving you a hard time. Everyone is afraid of something I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I better turn in my man card lol! I am scared of nsakes, I am just not scared off by them.

Post Thanks / Like

You just never know what you may encounter in the wild. Several years ago I was fishing in Conoloway Creek on Nolin, using a T-rigged worm in shallow water. After a slow retrive I started bringing it back and got a real hard hit. I set the hook and when I did a snake came out of the water. It didn't have the spade head, or cresent eys but the body was red with black, almost sawtooth, bands. I had never seen one like it before and I didn't think it was poisenous but I cut the line anyhow and it swim away.

when I got home, I tried to find out what it was by doing a search on the computer. In the process of trying to indentify the snake, I had a flashback to Viet Nam, but that is a different story. Anyhow, I finally found out that it was a Susquehanna Water Snake, usually only found in Pennsylvania. Don't ask me how it got to Nolin, but the point is you never know what you may run accross. Somone probably brought it here and let it loose. who knows?

That is how I happened to know about the pamphlet.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my man card I still can carry a gun though right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stimy2001 View Post

X2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stimy2001 View Post
    That is up for debate.....What kind of pea-shooter are you carrying?

Post Thanks / Like

Not a-feared of snakes... but things that fly and sting... yeah i am a girl around wasps... here is my man card...

Post Thanks / Like

No Man card... you can only carry pink KelTecs and LCP's nothing larger than a 380 is allowed.

Post Thanks / Like

On my way to deer stand several years in the dark and decided to take a shorter route around an old family grave site. Jumped a covey of quail. Left my underwear there!