Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocky fork lake

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Rocky fork lake

Has anyone any info on the lake last time I was there was 2 years ago. Then the lake was choked with grass.Has it changed or is it still the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rocky fork lake

Well i guess I'll find out for myself tommorrow. I have a two day tourney there this week and one next week. Buzz bait in the morning jigs and plastics the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a great tourney this weekend. Even though the weather was rough. weighed in 13 lbs. 19 took 1st. But took big fish both days!! The average fish was 2lbs. Be very careful after putting your fish in the live well. additives are advised! Several nice fish died in the livewell. Penalties for dead fish hurt alot of people. The bite was very lite since most are still spawning they should be into full spawn this coming full moon. I'd comment on whaqt I was useing but I have another tourney there this weekend. So good luck and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Spawn? The temps are in the mid to high 70s. Sounds more like post-spawn to me. What did I miss? Caught 10 yesterday, most on buzz baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Well mainly because a few of the fish died in the livewell. And since I don't waste anything we took them home and cleaned them they were still full of eggs. So I don't think they are in full spawn yet. Maybe not till the next full moon anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

My other club had it's tourney this weekend and the fish weren't as active as last week. Took most everything on plastics and crankbaits. But the catfish were sure biteing!! Caught 6 one over 12lbs on a crankbait!!

Post Thanks / Like

They don't all spawn at the same time. Some say the total spawn takes a mont or more. I'm gonna try to fish Paint Creek a couple of times over the next couple of weeks, got any advice for someone who doesn't know the lake well?

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is look around for trasition areas. close to deep water. thats where I've been getting most of my fish. I'm not familiar with most of the lake around here but I've been learning. I must have changed lures 10 times this past weekend before I found some thing they would take. Last week it was jigs and brushhawgs. This week it was 4'' worm on a shakey head. And the wind blown rough shore seemed to produce more than calm water. Also since most of the lakes are up they seemed to be relating to where the original or normal shore line would be. I hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, looks like a typical postspawn situation. Have you ever had any luck fishing the bluffs on the lower part of the lake behind the island?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried that area but nothing. Did hear though that some people had luck there. I had most of my luck on the south side rock walls before you get to the marina. Seemed that a mixture of rock wood and close to deeper water worked the best for me. also most of my stikes ocurered 10 to 15 feet from shore where the water depth dropped off to 9 to 15 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, same here. That bank has always been productive. I seem to do well on the bank at the mouth of Paint Creek too.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you!! I'm fishing the Ohio river at the Chilo ramp this weekend. I think I'll heed my own advice and try to work transition areas. Unless it keeps raining then we will probly switch to East fork. But I think I'll start off deeper and work my way up since there is a cool front coming through. And try to find some dropoffs to work over.