Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silver Carp Below Taylorsville Dam????

There is a push to try and get a Silver Carp commercial fishing market so as to increase fishing pressure - they are now being called "Silverfin" on the menu. They are supposed to be really good to eat according to several chefs who support the push.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mybentrod View Post
    I do know alot of people bow hunt for them. That would be the only fish I wouldn't feel bad about just killing.
    I have a buddy who is an avid bow fisherman and last summer on the Ohio river he was told to quit shooting them by the authorities.

Post Thanks / Like

Who was the "Authority"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I have a buddy who is an avid bow fisherman and last summer on the Ohio river he was told to quit shooting them by the authorities.
    Quite possibly he was told to stop shooting them, due to the presence of other boats/people in the area ... rather than as a protective measure for the fish. ???
    If you've seen some of the youtube videos of people running down a waterway, shooting arrows at the jumping carp ... you can understand why the practice may not be safe for bystanders OR participants. This may not apply to your buddy, or even anyone that's shooting them while they're still "underwater" .... but, all it would take is for some liquored up yahoo's to go out & practice what they see on the youtube, and accidently injure someone ... to get this invasive species put under "protection". Now that would be a fine kettle of fish, wouldn't it.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a hunting show where they were shooting them out of the air with bows from the back of the boat. I think it was the Latosky's. They were actually with a guide who guides for this. In Illinois, I believe.

And good luck trying to kill them all. A couple of years ago, Ky Afield showed the fry bunched up below Barkley dam during a show where he was bow hunting them. You could see 1000's of them bunched up.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I moved here, I was torn between the upper penisula of michigan, and ottowa Il, the Illinois river at that time was a pretty good place to fish for sauger walleye and super sized white bass.My cousin who lives near therer quit fishing the river,those things were as thick as gnats.They eat all the plankton, and the fry from valued species starve. Now they are starting to harvest them, for resale to the orient, but of course, there are problems,disposal of waste is causing concern to the greenies, I wondwer when we will be able to harvest those kooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F16ENGMGR View Post
    Who was the "Authority"?
    not sure who it was but i'll call him to find out. He doesn't drink alcohol and doubt that he would shoot to where he would endanger anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

"Authorites" wouldn't have told them to stop shooting them just to stop shooting them. Now if they were running at night with loud generators and lights, they may have told them they were "disturbing the peace". Being an avid day and night bowfisherman, I've never had a problem. If anything I've received the comment, "hope you kill them all."

Post Thanks / Like

Family friend that runs bridges on the Ohio and Mississippi has shown me video of them from his phone that is truly disturbing. The water looked like the ocean with three four foot swells, I think it was during the wind storm, anyway their where HUNDREDS of them on deck, the hands where out there pushing em off with brooms and shovels, he told me several where actually injured by some of the larger ones. Knowing what it feels like to have a three-four pounder jump into my boat and hit me in the knee, I can certainly believe that. Kill em' all.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a video of three boats running side by side with guys in the back shooting them with shotguns it was a hoot.