Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver Carp Below Taylorsville Dam????

Maybe one of you guys can confirm this. I was below Taylorsville Dam this morning and I noticed fish jumping completely out of the water like salmon. Always facing upstream. I have seen videos of the Asian Silver Carp that have been invading our rivers in the U.S. and they looked very similar to them. Some of the fish were maybe 6 lbs or so. I read that they are plankton feeders and spread like wildfire. They are apparently coming upstream from the Ohio River. I have been going to Taylorsville below the dam and have never seen fish do this before. Skipjack will jump sometime but these weren't skipjack. Skipjack usually only jump when they are hooked and they shake their head like a tarpon. These fish were jumping like salmon going up a waterfall. I pulled up a video on YouTube of them jumping when a boat approaches. Crazy!!! Hundreds of them jumping out of the water at the same time. I would hate to see a boat traveling at high speed plow into a bunch of airborn fish. What a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

I checked a few videos on Utube and the way the silver carp jump out of the water and just their shape looked almost identical to what I saw this morning. I also found out that the silver carp have invaded the Ohio River. I read that they are very sensitive to noise which is why they jump out of the water when a boat approaches. They feed very close to the surface on plankton. I think what is going on at Taylorsville is that when they get close to the dam, the noise from the rushing water just below the dam scares them and they jump. Man I hope they don't get in our lakes. They will sure mess up the food chain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silver Carp Below Taylorsville Dam????

Confirmed...They have been here for a while.The Salt dumps into the Ohio and I'm sure they have migrated up that way unfortunetly. I have also over the last few years seen a very big increase in there population.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think you could snag them???

Post Thanks / Like

thats ironic
    I was watching animal planet last night, part of the episode on river monsters was about these evasive silver carp.
    The footage was just as you've discribed "jumping out of the water".
    I hope there not in the river, its sounds like they are.
    They will do substantial damage

Post Thanks / Like

I know they're invasive and going to be bad for the Salt, but I wish someone could figure out a way to catch them via rod and reel.

I know they eat plankton, but the way they jump they would be a blast to fight on a line. I'd fish for them if there was a way.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they would be easy to snag. Especially if they are concentrated near the surface like they were in the videos. Don't use a lot of weight. Maybe a big float to help you cast it out. If it isn't legal it should be. Let's go snag em. I have heard they are good to eat too!! We've got to get rid of those things before they eat all the plankton.

Post Thanks / Like

we snag them all the time fishing for Stripes at the upper dam on Zara Spooks I cuss everyime I hook one . We are not meaning to .And yes my buddy fished the tail waters at Taylorsville last week and seen several

Post Thanks / Like

Where the wabash dumps into the Ohio can be very scary at times. I've hit a few in mid air and they just explode like a water balloon. Talk about a mess...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Silver Carp Below Taylorsville Dam????

I heard that silvers will compete with spoonbill. I dont know if the commercial fishermen did not take so many spoonbill out of the river maybe they would out compete the silvers.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in April I saw a fish jump at least 6 ft in the air below Meldahl Dam. I've never seen that before.

Post Thanks / Like

I do know alot of people bow hunt for them. That would be the only fish I wouldn't feel bad about just killing.