Search Fishin.com

Thread: Hard Jerk Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Hard Jerk Baits

Was wondering yoru guys opinion on best brand and color jerk baits for winter and early spring fishing in kentucky waters. I know a guy who swears by smithwick rogues when prespawn fishing... i have a clown rogue and was wanting to build a collection of just a few colors and sizes... it just seems that sometimes that big 6" 3 treble hook monster would be too big for pressured or spooked bass...

i have experience with husky jerks and lik eteh black silver and tennesee shad type colors... should i stick with naturalk shad colors or are bright clown type colors good???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard Jerk Baits

They work good for pressured bass. You can fish them fast, or slow them to just a few twitches and a very long pause.

My favorites are x-raps in black and silver, lucky craft pointers and slender pointers in table rock shad, aurora black and chartruse shad (the table rock shad is my all time favorite), and Megabass visions in pro blue. Lucky Craft and Megabass are very expensive, but I am usually fishing them in 10-15 feet of water or more, and they dive less than 5 feet, so I have not lost any of those.

Post Thanks / Like

X-Raps and pointers are hard to beat. I also like Rapala Husky jerks as well. I have a box full of cheapy's to and some of them will get the job done. Also an (APB) handmade is all that and a bag of chips, but you can't find that one on the shelf, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

A Lucky Craft pointer 78 in ghost minnow will catch the most pressured of fish in clear water. I go with a chartruse shad if the water a little off color. To me 3 foot is off colored. Anything murkier than that and I usually won't throw a jerkbait. Also I might move up to a size 100 so I have a bigger profile in off colored water. This has been what's worked for me but I'm far from an expert.

Post Thanks / Like

pointer 78 or 98sp, i keep two colors, aurora black and chartreuse shad - if they're on a jerkbait bite these will catch them

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard alot about jerkbaits working on KY Lake, but has anyone had good luck on any of the other lakes around the state??

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy who tourney fishes A LOT and when he fishes Barren prespawn.. he doesnt even get but 1 rod out of the locker and it is always throwing a jerkbait... and hes got the photos to back it all up... so it apparently works there... i havent had that much luck there yet...

BUt that has been throwing only 1 jerkbait as that is teh only one i bought... a clown colored smithwick rogue...
    Last edited by walkeraviator; 05-28-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimDi View Post
    I have heard alot about jerkbaits working on KY Lake, but has anyone had good luck on any of the other lakes around the state??
    Cumberland and Herrington are good jerkbait lakes. Especially this year on Herrington. The water was low and crystal clear. You could pause the jerkbait by a piece of timber and almost call your shots.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the best jerkbait is the Lucky Craft pointer. Not sure what the name of the colors were called but if it has the chrome sides it will get hammered. Went to Kentucky Lake early March and the jerkbait bite was on. By the time the week was over there was hardly any paint left on the baits. My favorite is the black and blue chrome one. Caught my personel best on that lure. http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...lbs11oz005.jpg?