Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

jigs and trailers

I’m going to t-ville this week and Im only going to take jigs so I can try to improve my jig skills. This is the first year I have ever fished with them and Im not doing so well. So If I could get some pointers on size and color of jig and some good trailers. i noticed that their are Flipping, Casting, swimming and Finesse jigs – Also I have seen chunk trailers and craw trailers. I thought all jigs were the same and you just put different trailers on them. I would like to know if chunk or craw trailers are better or what the difference is. I have a few boo yah jigs I picked up earlier this year. Colors are like black-brown-green pumpkin my sizes are 5/16 to 1/2 OZ. some of the heads look different some are round or pointed or the football head. for plastics I have yum wooly bugs- zoom super speed craw- net bait baby paca craw- power bait chigger craw. I have seen 3 different kits at bass pro with 10 or 12 jigs but I really don’t know what I need. Any advice or website would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: jigs and trailers

When it comes to fishing jigs you have several options. I am a jig fisherman and make all mine and I have over 8 different molds. If I am pitching jigs into cover I like a 60 to a 90 degree head. This seems to allow fewer hang ups. Also the head has the lead spread over a wider area which allows it to glide through easier. Depending on water color i like green pumkinn main colors and not to rule out blk/bl. For more open water areas and ledges or rocky points my favorite is a football head in watermelon/grn pumkin combos.. If I am fishing over 10ft I like the 1/2 oz and over 20ft I like a 3/4. A football head can be drug just like a c-rig over cover and off of main lake structure . I do best with it in the warmer months or when the fish have not moved up yet such as pre-spawn. It actually allows you to cover water pretty quick. Trailers make all the difference to me. On my pitching jigs I like a pork style plastic trailer. My favorites are the zoom salty pro chunk, super chunk or paca chunk. When the fish are more active the paca chunk, it allows for more movement in my presentation. My football jigs I prefer the paca chunks because of the action. I will also use some double tail grubs or even brush hogs cut in half. This allows for more action in the deeper water and different type of presentation. When pitching If I am in shallow water a 3/8 will most likely do the trick. When I get deeper or want to change things up I will go to a 1/2. When the water is colder or a front has passed I will go to a 1/8-1/4 finesse presentation with a down sized trailer. When pitching I use no less than 20lb cx p-line. For my footballs I like 15lb cx p-line and for my finesse I will go all the way down to 8lb-10lb on spinning tackle. The more you use jigs you will find what you like and what works for you. Just keep your colors simple. Your greens, blk/bl/, and browns will cover most of your situations. Good luck. any more info just pm me.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep fishing the jig and you will get bit. I like the Paca Craws and and Zoom chunks best. I have also had good luck using a bit of a finesse worm as a trailer. If I am fishing at night I will use a double tail grub.

I have also found that a lot of times you won't feel the thump you just see your line move. Reel down and set the hook the fish just seem to **** in the bait. If you try to check the fish it will just blow the jig back out.

Your colors are fine just don't get too hung up on I have to have a hundred colors, get 4-5 basic colors and go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee110 View Post
    I’m going to t-ville this week and Im only going to take jigs so I can try to improve my jig skills. This is the first year I have ever fished with them and Im not doing so well. So If I could get some pointers on size and color of jig and some good trailers. i noticed that their are Flipping, Casting, swimming and Finesse jigs – Also I have seen chunk trailers and craw trailers. I thought all jigs were the same and you just put different trailers on them. I would like to know if chunk or craw trailers are better or what the difference is. I have a few boo yah jigs I picked up earlier this year. Colors are like black-brown-green pumpkin my sizes are 5/16 to 1/2 OZ. some of the heads look different some are round or pointed or the football head. for plastics I have yum wooly bugs- zoom super speed craw- net bait baby paca craw- power bait chigger craw. I have seen 3 different kits at bass pro with 10 or 12 jigs but I really don’t know what I need. Any advice or website would be greatly appreciated
    Go to another Lake! Just kidding....I keep it easy like the others. I like casting and flipping jigs, I don't see a need for swimming jigs (JMO). My favorite weight is 5/16 with a paca craw trailer. I like the cumberland craw D&L Baby Advantage Jig around cover or shallow structure. Black and Blue with a Black Chunk prolly caught more bass than any other combo through the years.
    Heck they do well in wading creeks too. Use a spinning rod and get some 1/4oz jigs and fish the deeper holes.

Post Thanks / Like

To learn with, I would forget the flipping and finesse jigs and use the casting and football head jigs. The flipping jigs generally have a thicker wire round bend hook and the casting jigs have a smaller diameter wide gap hook. The smaller diameter penetrates easier. The most frustrating thing about learning jigs is missing fish. It's not like fishing a worm even though you may work it the same. I would use a high pound line to start and a heavy rod so you can really cross the eyes of the fish on the hookset. Set at the first sign of a fish like previously stated, they will spit out a jig pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

So when you miss a bite or a fish spits it out. What are the odd of catching that fish? Should I continue fishing that same spot or move on immediately. Is Silicone or rubber better?
    And should I get jigs with rattles or are you trying to have a stealth approach? and is tungsten or lead heads better? and last thing should i trim my weed guards on all of my jigs for better hook set?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a time and place for everything you just asked. In my short experience I have learned that just teh addition of a rattle to an otherwise unchanged bait can turn on or shut down a fish. Same is true about different size jigs....just a small change in size can be all it takes... as for tungsten vs lead, i just cant see paying teh extra myself...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I usually trim my weed guards unless I am fishing heavy brush. I usually use silicone but rubber works real well. Sometimes you can get a fish to come back and hit a bait sometimes you can't. I usually use a rattle 95% of the time I am fishing. I have never used tungsten so I can't help you there. I pour my own jigs so I use lead heads.

Jigs are just like any other bait let the fish tell you what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I want to let my oppinion known as well...lol 1) start off with a small jig 3/16-1/4 oz black and blue or craw pattern D&L frog hair with Paca chunk trailer. 2) trim weed guard at an angle where 2 or 3 fibers protect hook point. 3) Flourocarbon line 14 lb or up. 4) fish very slowly.

Night time use a bigger jig 1/2 oz with rattle and big trailer.

You may also want to try a better lake.

Post Thanks / Like

The best place to learn is by far the good ole farm pond or small lake. Some place you will take alot of bites. You will soon learn the difference in a twig or a pig. Sometimes they pop it good and other times it is just a funny feeling on the line. As for trailers I use uncle josh real pork 95 % of the time. Put it on and forget it. don't have to worry about loosing claws or the tails off of it. The rest of the time paca chunk. Jig fishing is like anything else , practice, practice

Post Thanks / Like

And for those looking to buy some Jigs... give zx150 a shout. I have a few of them and they are top notch...

Post Thanks / Like

My fave bass jigs are 1/2-3/4 oz green pumpkin, browns, and blacks. I use primarily Last Cast jigs as they are the best "stand up" jigs that I have found. I use the Zoom Ultravibe craw in the matching color as a trailer.

http://www.bigwevetackle.com/tackle-...-c-99_101.html