Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kayak fishing Floyds Fork yesterday

We floated from Bells Mill road to the Salt river yesterday. Fished mostly with top water and Rebel Craws. Caught 12 fish between us. One big drum. The bass were all small. A slow day, but really fun. River level was perfect for floating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak fishing Floyds Fork yesterday

Cool, I Yak fished on a lake yesterday. Used rattletraps and plastics. Got Bass, Catfish, Walleye, Bluegill and Crappie. I was trying out my anchor and how to use it while fishing certain spots and it works well but I'm just not satisfied.

I'm thinking that 6-8ft pole that swivels installed on the side that runs parallel to the side of the Yak might work better. I been thinking of it and can see it with 2" PVC cut to form a point. I usually fish shallow so that length would work and could even be weighted with a little concrete (1lb?) to help it stay down.

I used my paddle a few times to do this and it worked pretty good. Anybody seen anything like this on Yaks before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Cool, I Yak fished on a lake yesterday. Used rattletraps and plastics. Got Bass, Catfish, Walleye, Bluegill and Crappie. I was trying out my anchor and how to use it while fishing certain spots and it works well but I'm just not satisfied.

I'm thinking that 6-8ft pole that swivels installed on the side that runs parallel to the side of the Yak might work better. I been thinking of it and can see it with 2" PVC cut to form a point. I usually fish shallow so that length would work and could even be weighted with a little concrete (1lb?) to help it stay down.

I used my paddle a few times to do this and it worked pretty good. Anybody seen anything like this on Yaks before?
    I saw something similar on an outdoor show called "The Next Generation". They were fishing shallow saltwater from kayaks and used poles not only to hold themselves in place, but also to move and maneuver instead of paddles. It wasn't attached like you described, but rather they would push it in the bottom and then fasten it somehow.

I just use a small dumbell on a rope. I drop it over the side, make a loop in the rope and fasten it to the kayak with a carabiner.

Post Thanks / Like

when you put in at bells mill road, where do you put in??? where do you take out???

Post Thanks / Like

Me and a friend also Kayaked on Floyds Fork; between Miles Park and near Valhalla Golf Course and back. We opted not to take an all day trip. My usual route is between Miles Park and Floyds Fork Park.

Anyone run between Floyds Ford Park and Bardstown Road; I think there is a takeout near there?

I also would be interested in details on Bell Mill and Salt River trip. How long if you just Kayak?

Trip between Miles Park and Floyds Fork Park is about four hours kayaking (the speed I kayak). We usually take 8-10 hours when we fish it.

We caught 9 little fish. (Bluegill, Rock Bass and Small mouth).

For Anchors; I have a Kayak Anchor; three #; kind with prongs that can sink in and catch or catch on somthing. It works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

DJD, how are you tieing off your anchor? I installed an anchor trolley to run from the front to the middle. I just used a snap ring, some paracord and a couple of carabiners for now but it seems to work well. I run my anchor line through the snap ring and then use the trolley to run it to the front of the kayak so it holds me face towards the current or wind rather than spinning you around like it would if you just attached to the middle of the kayak.

I found out that you're better off with a 5 lb anchor than a 1 lb. Sportsmans has some 5 pounders that will work well, gotta pick one up. I've been using my anchor bag with rocks but it has a habit of dragging across the mud or sand in high wind or current.

What you are talking about is a stake out pole. They use them on the flats alot. It would work well in shallow water. Alot of the saltwater guys use them. They use poles made from aluminum or something like that. It would have a cord attached to it that then attaches to your anchor trolley to hold you in place. PVC wouldn't be stiff enough. I've thought of making one from a cypress pole and drilling it to accept a rebar end. I may try to cut a long cypress pole when I'm in Florida this month and see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I canoed/fished from Miles to Floyd's on Friday with my daughter. The canoeing was better than the fishing--about 10, all small. I guess its good to see that others are having the same luck as me.

I often canoe from Floyd's to Seatonville. Fishing it is about a 12 hour trip under normal water conditions. I use the Fisherville gauge and like to keep the water flow at 50-100 for a good float, otherwise I have to drag too much. That run is about 7 miles.

I've also gone from Seatonville south and back. The next take out would be Broad Run Rd. I've never actually made that whole run. But several times I've floated down that way and back, there's a sharp bend in the creek and once past it, it seems like you're always going into the wind. I can't think of a single time I was there that I didn't end up floating upstream because of the wind. That's about 3 miles.

There is a take out spot at Bardstown Rd though. On the south side of the bridge, there's a fabric (or at least it used to be) shop and there's a pull off right there where the road turns with a trail down to the creek. I've parked and fished from there several times.

I'd say to run from Floyds to Bardstown Rd would take several days under good conditions. Its a total run of about 13 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea on the anchor. Mine isn't set up that way and I was just wrapping around a cleat in the center of the yak but I wasn't fishing any current and the wind really wasn't bad.
    The poles your talking about are pretty expensive aren't they? I know some of the saltwater ones are for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article from paddling.net on methods for keeping your kayak in place. It mentions anchors and stake out poles.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?174

I also did a quick search, and the poles aren't really that expensive. The above article mentions making one yourself out of PVC.

Here's an article about making one out of PVC:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5331380_make...eout-pole.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thats some great stuff man! Thanks alot

Post Thanks / Like

Quick bump... where did you put in at Bells Mill Rd???

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone put an aftermarket seat in their yak?