Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

stop shooting asian carp?

can't remember where itcame up on one of these threads, but i mentioned the fact that a friend of mine was told to quit shooting asian carp on the ohio river by the authorities. Some one asked who the authorities were that told him to stop. Spoke to him today and he told me it was the Indiana deptment of public resoureses. He spoke with Kwfd and was told ky. was trying to work somthing out with Indiana. He's an avid bow fisherman not shooting to where it would endanger someone and not out boozing it up. For what it's worth there's the story. He has since not been back.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: stop shooting asian carp?

Glad I dont have to deal with them here, but if I did I believe I would have a new sport. Bet it would be a blast with a 410.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not doubting your friend or what he told you, but I can not find any record of the "Indiana Department of Public Resources"??

Where on the Ohio was he told this?

Post Thanks / Like

said he was on the Ind. side of the Ohio. After he told me who told him to stop it kind of sonded strange to me also. This was last summer but he is a sober dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they told him to stop because he didn't have an IN fishing license?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishNnut View Post
    I'm not doubting your friend or what he told you, but I can not find any record of the "Indiana Department of Public Resources"??

Where on the Ohio was he told this?
    Whoops it was Indiana department of resourses. Sorry I miss qouted

Post Thanks / Like

indiana does not controll the southern two thirds of the river so they just need to move toward the middle to kentucky side and tell them indiana boys to go you know where.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    indiana does not controll the southern two thirds of the river so they just need to move toward the middle to kentucky side and tell them indiana boys to go you know where.

Interesting. I know for a fact that they do control the whole Ohio River (not tributaries) as do the KY water patrol officers. I've been with both departments when doing so. It may be better to take a little different advice when you are on the river.

I have also been with ICO's and taken carp out of the Ohio and a couple of other rivers. I know of nothing from either department about not taking any rough or invasive species out of the Ohio.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not for sure, but I don't believe you can use a cross bow in Indiana waters. Was your friend using a cross bow? Indiana regulations say you are to kill the Asian carp if you catch one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I watched an Asian carp tournament on TV. It was being held in western Kentucky and the guys were shooting them with bows & arrows. The carp were huge and there were plenty of them. I think it would have been fun to be there watching from a boat.