Search Fishin.com

Thread: GPS Map Updates

Post Thanks / Like

GPS Map Updates

I have an "on the road" GPS as well as an "on the water" GPS, both from the same company. Both units are registered and I keep getting email advertizements and/or suggestions to update the maps in my units. Each updates costs $99.00 or more depending on the features. I got both of these units about four years ago and am still using the origianlly loaded maps.

My question is: does anyone ever buy the updated maps for you GPS. I just don't think they are worth it because I can;t believe that the roads or the lakes change that much in four years (or ever every year as they update that frequently). Besides, I just looked at the prices for a new "on the road" GPS from that company and I could get a brand new unit with new maps for anyplace from $120.00 to $170.00 for basic units and maps.

I just don't think the updates are worth it. What do you think?

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GPS Map Updates

Be very careful there is allways some one out to scam you credit card number from you. I would call the maker of the GPS and ask them about it..

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, but I am aware of the scams. I never order anything from any email that I recieve, regardless of the source or company. If I want something that is advertized in an email, even by a company I normally deal with, I close the email and go the the company website. If I can;t find the same offer there, then, as you point out, it may have been a scam.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

I know my wifes Garmin is now telliong us every time we turn it on that it needs to be updated. If you use yoru GPS on road trips to help find food or gas along the route I would update it. But if you are punching in addresses to find places, I wouldnt bother...

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Garmin Nuvi in my work vehicle because I drive in several different counties every day. I have updated it once in the last 3 years.
    It needed it too.. There are always new streets and addresses that it can't locate but I just look on Google maps for free now. I have a laptop with me 90% of the time with a built in AirCard so problem solved. Even now after 3-4 years with one update ($75) my Garmin finds over 99% of the addresses I need.