Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jim Casada Outdoors

For those of you who might have an interest, link is given below. Enjoy!

http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com/New...June10News.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jim Casada Outdoors

Jim was the member who sponsored me when I first joined the Southeast Outdoor Press Association.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, after fishing 3 days and hiking "way to many miles" in the GSMNP, think I just may need a lesson or two from the guys on this board!!

Fished mostly a dry fly (adams) and only managed to catch a couple of 2 inch minnows. Last day was up on Little River, past Elkmont campgrounjd, in late afternoon. Another angler was having good success with a (rather large) wet fly. Made me think my flies were\ too small, i.e. fishing 12 - 16 size range or I should have been fishing a wet fly??

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Boone, I have been fishing there 2-3 times a year since 1998 and I still haven't figured them out. I fished a pool on Abrams Creek for about 1 1/2 hours with no luck, so I moved upstream. As I was walking back downstream after giving up for the day I watched a guy catch three rainbows out of the same hole. He caught them all on a Royal Wulff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    LOL Boone, I have been fishing there 2-3 times a year since 1998 and I still haven't figured them out. I fished a pool on Abrams Creek for about 1 1/2 hours with no luck, so I moved upstream. As I was walking back downstream after giving up for the day I watched a guy catch three rainbows out of the same hole. He caught them all on a Royal Wulff!
    Ah, the old Royal Wulff! Great wild trout stimulator fly! It was all we used to throw up in the Uinta National Forrest in NorthEastern Utah. Those wild brookies, cutts, and bows would kill them! Good old days.....

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Tim, fished Abrams from the trail parking lot, up to the falls. Quite a hike for this OLD MAN.... About 3/4 way up, ran into a family of RIVER OTTERS....Believe they caught more fish then me , but were fun to watch......

Post Thanks / Like

Next time you are around Jim Casada get him going about river otters, particularly on Abrams. He says they have decimated the brown trout fishery. Jim grew up in those mountians and has been fishing there for over 50 years, so I will take his word for it and the fact that asmany times as I have fished that same stretch you are talking about, I have NEVER caught a brownie.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, sad, but think there is some truth to it.....from what I have read, fishing in the GSMNP area is not what it was in past. Still, a great place to spend some QUALITY TIME...

Hey, how about that FF get together....any time works for me!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Jim is right about the otters. Seems everytime WE mess with mother nature, we screw things up BIG TIME!