Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Broke the tip off my custom 7wt 9' FR!

Yep, was messing with my custom FR that my brother built for me ten years ago and forgot that the ceiling fan was on about 9 feet up from where I was seated on the couch.......Snap! Cut about an inch section off the tip. I re-ordered a new tip from Cabelas and epoxy it into place, almost as good as new. Just the new tip is an inch closer to my second eyelit, lol! So I guess it's a 8'11" FR now, lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Broke the tip off my custom 7wt 9' FR!

Man, sounds like you got it bad....an't no trout in the family room LOL . Good to hear you got her fixed up.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to hear that, but I guess I'm not alone. I was in Quetico a couple of weeks ago. The first time I got out my fly rod, I broke the tip basically doing a roll cast and not realizing that I'm a lot closer to the water in a canoe than when I'm standing on the bank. I slammed the tip into the water and lost about the last four inches. I patched it together with a straightened fish hook, some super glue, and some electric tape well enough to get through the trip. The trip was really more of a spinning rod trip since the water was clear and the fish were a bit spooky (though quite hungry). So, the fly rod wasn't missed too dearly. I just sent it off to TFO today. I'll let everyone know how their lifetime no-fault warranty works out for me. Good luck with your 8'11", Rich!

Post Thanks / Like

Broke the tip off my 15 year old 7 weight from LL Bean. Sent it off to them for repair. They said they couldn't fix it, would I like a brand new one instead? Um...yeah, sure, I said. Showed up on my front door step a few days later. Can't beat service like that.

Post Thanks / Like

broke the tip off an Orvis Clearwater 4 wt. years back, propped it in the truck door while I put my waders on and a gust of wind closed the door. Was not a fun trip to red River Gorge that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Broke the last 3-4 inches off of a TFO about a month ago. I sent it back and they put a new section on it, good as new.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Broke the tip off my custom 7wt 9' FR!

Sorry to hear about that Rich !!! But when I broke my tip off ( Or My Daughter did ) I should say. I glued it back on a few inches shorter. And It made the rod a little stiffer. Which allowed me to shoot line a little better !!!
    So I hope yours will work out ok for you !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Rich !!! But when I broke my tip off ( Or My Daughter did ) I should say. I glued it back on a few inches shorter. And It made the rod a little stiffer. Which allowed me to shoot line a little better !!!
    So I hope yours will work out ok for you !
    Lol! True, makes the tip have a faster action, lol! There's the silver lining, thanks Rock!

-Rich