Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: bass tracker differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    I have a 1995 Pro-Team 18 that has rivets that was leaking throughout the bottom. When I had it repaired the bracing across the bottom were broken as well. To repair such problems is way more than you want to deal with trust me.
    My Pro-Team 175 also leaked much like you stated...but I KNEW it would eventually leak when I purchased it.

I sold it......as is........LEAKS and all to a guy in Indy. He knew it leaked, and how much, but it was still a pretty good boat.

I now drive a 2006 tracker 195. It is also a pretty GOOD boat, and cheap to run.

My next one will probably be a Ranger, BassCat, Triton, or something similar....

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    My Pro-Team 175 also leaked much like you stated...but I KNEW it would eventually leak when I purchased it.

I sold it......as is........LEAKS and all to a guy in Indy. He knew it leaked, and how much, but it was still a pretty good boat.

I now drive a 2006 tracker 195. It is also a pretty GOOD boat, and cheap to run.

My next one will probably be a Ranger, BassCat, Triton, or something similar....

Later,

Geo
    I should also say..........

* I don't have to spend 45 minutes wiping it down after every trip.
    * I don't CARE if I beach it on the gravel or the ramp, or where ever.
    * I don't CARE if I bounce off trees at Patoka or Dogwood, or wherever.
    * I can pull it with a small 6 cyl vehicle like an escape or my van or something smaller if necessary.
    * I can fish all weekend and hit a TON of spots on a tank of gas.

LOTS of pros to having an aluminum boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2003 Tracker Deep V 17 and it has the pros and cons. Pros - All Welded Hull, high gunnel and deep interior makes it safer for my young boy to be in the boat, takes on the waves pretty good, its an aluminum boat and not afraid to take it into the jungle to fish, drive sitting on a regular height seat versus sitting almost on the floor in most Glass boats, not as heavy as same size boat in glass that helps on the fuel efficiency in towing. IT WAS THE WINNING BOAT AT THE 27TH ANNUAL HORSE CREEK BILLY WESTMORELAND SMALLMOUTH INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT HELD DEC 5TH AND 6TH AT DALE HOLLOW LAKE (JUST COULD NOT RESIST).

Cons - sits high out of the water and easily blown around by the wind, storage is non-existant to the point that I designed and built an extension to the front deck that doubles as a storage compartment, back deck is very small for the guy in the back of the boat to the point that I designed and built a back deck for added standing room that I can also store large plastic storage bins underneath for more storage and DRY STORAGE, there is no dry storage in the boat except for what I added, even with a 90hp motor top speed is right at 38mph, high gunnel gets in the way when trying to flip and pitch, hard to get in and out of when beached due to sitting so high

The boat was perfect when I was a lot bigger than I am now. With me losing so much weight and being more mobile, I would rather have a glass boat because I fished out of my buddy's Triton TR186 and it was so much more the boat than mine. Well worth the additional money. Would I buy another boat just like mine, NO. Just too many cons versus pros speaking from a Tracker DeepV 17 point of view versus traditional glass bass boats. I have not fished out of an aluminum traditional bass boat so can't compare apples to apples. I just know I would not buy a Tracker Aluminum Deep V boat again.

Post Thanks / Like

if u are looking for a alluminum boats u mite try looking at a triton magnum 187 i think that is the modle. A friend of mine fishes out of 1 he said he would never go back to a glass boat. you can mount a 150 hp motor on it. the magnum is heavy compared to the tracker so u dont get blown around as much plus u get the all alluminum boat. you can fish lakes like ky lake and just about any where u want to from skinny to big water with it. thats just my humble opinon. im a glaas boat guy i would not trade my triton 196 for anything.

onemorecast56 Guest

[QUOTE=Bonefish;417751]Do not buy a boat with rivets perid[/I]

I work on boats for a living, I`ve totally rebuildt 8 Bass Trackers from the early 80`s TX17`s to the late 90`s john boat style. I`ve seen very few that didn`t leak. Here`s what I`ve found out and think whats going on.

1 They flat don`t put enough rivets in the boats. They are spaced 8-10 inch apart.

2 The trailers are alot of the proplems. They are not stuff enought. If you loosen the winch up and let the boat loose, then bounce the front, you will find out that the trailer is real flexable and moves up and down alot. So when you tighten the boat down tight, the boat trys to flex with the trailer, so when you hit a bump or bounce on the road, the boat is taking all the flexing. I`ve found that the first 3 sets of braces on the outside is where every one I`ve ever done leaks at,,due to flexing. The braces break on the ends...(got a bunch of pic`s to prove) If you look thats right in the middle of the trailer between the winch and the axles where it moves the most.

3 The main leaks are also in the center keel,,which supports the boat also,,,, I get so tickled that people try to seal that center keel with all kinds of crap. People your wasting your time,,,the hull is 1 peice from top of the rails down and up the other side,,,it`s pressed formed like that,,,so your wasteing your time trying,,,

4 These boats are stamped out and where it`s bends from the side to the bottom gets thinner from the stamping,,I`ve had 4 boats that had cracks where it bents,,,

Now,,don`t getme wrong,,,I love trackers,,best deal for the money at the time, but just didn`t put enough rivets to keep it strong. Never ever seen a V-hull tracker leak..But if you look at the lowes boat,,and really the Lunds,,,you`ll see they have a **** pot full of rivets,,,zig zagged 3/4 in apart with over lapped seams,,,and alot heavier gauge metal

Post Thanks / Like

Thatsno joke... my buddy's grandfather has a lowe jon boat from teh 80's that still doesnt leak a drop... it is built like a tank...

Post Thanks / Like

In my lifetime have owned one of the original pontoon boats ever made, had steel pontoons. A tracker pontoon, three starcaft alluminum boats, a duracraft alluminum boat and now I have a crestliner sport fish alluminum. The starcrafts were rivited and none of the three ever leaked a drop. One was a 1962 model and did not leak in 1994. The duracraft was rivited and did leak. Would take on a gallon over 10-12 hours. Steel pontoon was as heavy as a house. My current crestliner is all weld, does not leak (1987 model) and handles great with a deep vee.

Love the alluminum boats for light weight, easy to power, easy to tow, durable, easy to maintain. low cost. All have been painted except for the tracker pontoon. Just a note, paint is the way to go. easier to clean, wax and protects the alluminum. The pontoon was a lot of work with metal polish, oxidation, etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Have an almost 18 ft fisher deep vee, all the problems elnut mentioned are true. Also have a tracker 16 ft grizzly all welded, 100 gauge aluminum, money matters to me now, that smaller boat costs less to tow, is easier on the trannys of trucks, same with brakes, and the four dtroke motor just sips gasoline.I'd never try a smaller aluminum boat on real big lakes. But on the great lakes, Lund makes boats that could probably stand up to a hurricane, and they are aluminum, but you need Gold to own one .

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. no joke... I love the big Polar Krafts... but they run teh same as a freakin Ranger...

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned a Bomber, Skeeter etc. for the past 15 plus years I have had a Lund. I will never own a glass boat again. My 2025ProVle is built like a tank and has great storage, livewells etc.
    I have never heard of a Lund with a leak problem but plenty of Trackers that do.
    I think Doug used Lund style rivets to repair the Lowerider.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a triton tr_176 and have fished out of a lot of tracker type boats. If you can afford a fiberglass boat i would recommend it. The boat I have is very easy to haul plus for 30 bucks or so I can fish for a whole weekend. Wind is a factor but not as near as bad in a tracker. My Triton is very light weight and it has a 115 johnson on it. I have had it top out at 56 miles per hour according to GPS. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Not from experience, but from others input I have a few cons to buying aluminum... Stability. Even the revolution hull from Tracker is less stable than most fiberglass boats. And they are noisy...which i think is a stupid reaosn not to get one.

For me, i would buy a used all weld aluminum boat made from .100 thick aluminum. I really want a Lowe Stinger 170... but thats out since i aint gots no money...
    I do not have a problem with noise on my alluminum boat. There is carpet covering all the exposed alluminun inside. This acts as a very good sound insulator. My old tracker pontoon had the all alluminum floor that was also carpeted with a heavy foam pad under. Even if you dropped the anchor on the floor it would not make any more noise than if you dropped ot on a wood floor.

Most complaints of noise from an alluminum boat are from those that have the bare alluminum inside. Even a Line-X type coating over the floor will deaden the noise.