Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

bass tracker differences?

I am thinking of selling my late 80's model stratos w/ 150 evinrude and buying an aluminum late 90's or early 00's model bass tracker until I get out of school b/c it would obviously be more economical in hauling and while on the water. Just wondering if anyone has any input on pros and cons of an aluminum bass tracker (or other aluminum models). Specifically I would like to hear some comparisons of different bass tracker models, especially the XT, V, and Pro team models? Ive only been on one aluminum bass boat and would appreciate insight into this topic. Thanks yal .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bass tracker differences?

Do not buy a boat with rivets period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    A pretty bold statement. I'ved owned a Basstracker boat for 15 years, not one leak. I appreciate that it can be beached or graze a rock without having to worry about damaging the hull. The only negative, if it is one, is that maintaining the new aluminum sheen requires more work than I care to do. I would buy it again without hesitation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had an '04 Pro-Team for about 3 years now. You're right...it's easy to haul and great on gas. You can spend a good weekend on the lake for little out of pocket. I would say my biggest gripe is because of the light weight aluminum offers when there is any kind of wind on the water I really have to fight the trolling motor to keep a steady line. Can make flipping soft plastics a real pain sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    I agree with this. Every bass tracker and similar aluminum bass boat with rivets I have ever owned or been on, will eventually leak. It is fixable - but sometimes costly and time consuming, but the leaks will happen to some degree eventually.

I would look for one of the early 2000 models - I think that is when they started making all-weld hulls. The pro-v will have a deeper hull than the the pro team. It will ride a little more smooth in rough water, but sits a little deeper. I had a pro team, and I loved it, I could get in some skinny water with it.

If I were fishing smaller lakes, there is no doubt in my mind I would still have an aluminum boat. The only reason I went to a bigger glass boat was because I moved to the KY lake area - and the aluminum gets blown around much more, and is a little less stable while fishing main lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1995 Pro-Team 18 that has rivets that was leaking throughout the bottom. When I had it repaired the bracing across the bottom were broken as well. To repair such problems is way more than you want to deal with trust me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17ft all weld G3 and love it. Does not leak a drop but is all weld. I have fished out of many riveted boats and they all seem to leak at some point. I looked at a 2001 model riveted G3 a month or so ago that was already leaking. I could have gotten a real deal for it but did not want the trouble. I would buy all weld if I could afford it. The wind does push me around alot more but the pro's for me outway the con's. It's easy on gas towing and running. I have not found a ramp I can't get in or out of by myself. I don't plan on trading mine in for a fiberglass anytime soon.
    Last edited by gocards40; 06-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not from experience, but from others input I have a few cons to buying aluminum... Stability. Even the revolution hull from Tracker is less stable than most fiberglass boats. And they are noisy...which i think is a stupid reaosn not to get one.

For me, i would buy a used all weld aluminum boat made from .100 thick aluminum. I really want a Lowe Stinger 170... but thats out since i aint gots no money...

Post Thanks / Like

oh...one more thing... check out teh layouts... the storage compartments changed every couple of years on teh 175 TXW from tracker. I think 2008 and newer has the best layout as far as storage and rod locker design...

Post Thanks / Like

i have a deep v pro guide made by tracker love the boat but a down side of a deep v it can be hard to troll if the wind is up

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Triton but my buddy I fish with in Nashville has a tracker v-18 and we have fished tournaments out of it. I was impressed with the way it fished and handled. If I had to step down i would definately consider it. Also an asy tow

Post Thanks / Like

I own an all welded aluminum, and love it. I have been stuck on stumps, ran up on gravel, and put this boat through just about everything. And still fishes like the day I bought it. Biggest downside to aluminum, is they are very noisy like mentioned before. And the wind will blow you around like a tin can. With the pros and cons, and the type of fishing I do most, I will never own anything but aluminum.