Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Humminbird 998c SI

Anybody out there have or used one of these units??? Just wondering what you thinik of it?? Thanks in advance!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Humminbird 998c SI

I have the 798, I couldn't afford the 998. I love it! I wish I had more time to just cruise around and mark things with the side imaging. The bigger screen would be a lot better, but the extra grand was too much for my wallet. So far a really nice unit.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 798 as well. Once you get it all figured out (which takes awhile) it's great. One warning though. It will kill a battery in no time if you don't leave the big motor going. I've jumped batterys a few times when I left it on by mistake. But after the tot on Kentucky and speaking with the lowrance rep I would consider going that way for SI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    I have the 798 as well. Once you get it all figured out (which takes awhile) it's great. One warning though. It will kill a battery in no time if you don't leave the big motor going. I've jumped batterys a few times when I left it on by mistake. But after the tot on Kentucky and speaking with the lowrance rep I would consider going that way for SI.
    how long does it take to run the battery down? that is the one thing that worries me about these electronics. with them and the aerator my battery would run down quickly i believe. there are times i won't start the outboard up for 3 or 4 hours on the lake...can a battery handle 2 units for that long?

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that the Hummingbird took less time to figure out than a Lorance. It has a single button to change screens and the menus are easier to understand. I went to a class at the BPS in Clarksville and they also have guys there that will take you out on a lake to show you whatever. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 1197, 788 and a Lowrance 332... there has never been an issue with my batteries and they stay on all day long...... At the river last weekend I only started my boat a couple times all day... went about 5 / 6 hours with out starting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    how long does it take to run the battery down? that is the one thing that worries me about these electronics. with them and the aerator my battery would run down quickly i believe. there are times i won't start the outboard up for 3 or 4 hours on the lake...can a battery handle 2 units for that long?
    Well to start my optima's are 3.5 years old. About 3-4 hours and it won't turn the big motor over. That's with the aerator running and two units. I'm not sure of the exact amp hour draw it has. Even with the huge draw they have I'd tell anyone to buy a SI unit for sure. It's simply amazing what you see.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey lucky1
    What kind of battery configuration are you runnin you electronic off of??? Same as crankin battery, its own battery, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I run Optimas.... The smaller ones...D34M I think.

On my 5th year with the trolling motor batteries (2 of them) and on my 3rd year with my cranking battery which everything else is hooked up to.

1197C (on all day)
    788C (on all day)
    332 Lowrance in dash (on all day)
    4 livewell pumps (run two constantly all day)
    Oxygenators (run all day)
    Over 500 Bluewater LED's hooked up.

Only time I've had battery issues is when I leave all four livewell pumps running for a long time... I tend to forget they are on sometimes.

Take care of you batteries and they will last a long time. Keep them charged and DO NOT wait any amout of time after draining them to recharge. First thing I do after getting home is hook them up...

Post Thanks / Like

I charge my battery as soon as I get back everytime, and my battery is brand new. But you are running all that all day and can still crank it over at the end of the day? I have 2 Lowrance X125's, and those mixed in with livewell pumps for a few hours kicks my battery's ass...i can barely trim the motor up and down at the end of the day, let alone crank it over...maybe something is wrong with my electrical system

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS LUCKY 1 that is some great information

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone thought about trying one of these on a boat?

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-15w...y-charger.html

I have used one on an RV trip and it worked great when not using a mass load of power.

AJ
    Last edited by avidbasser; 06-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.