Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don Smith Guest

Re: reaction innovations sweet beavers

I got a few days (5) on the Potomac River a couple weeks ago, and caught most of my fish flipping a beaver in the grass. We were using braid, but the 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG Super Line hook was the one that kept the fish stuck. Now most of the time, we were flipping, within 10 feet of the boat, so that does make a difference. But I see no reason why the regular ewg would not do the same on mono. They like it up there, thats a fact! I usually use the beaver as a jig trailer, and works well, but never really go into flipping it around here on Cumberland or any of my local lakes. Started flipping it the other night on cumberland around lumber and caught a few smaller fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used them since they came out I guess. I always split the tail when throwing around rock and dont split it around grass to keep it a bit more compact. I have won big fish three times off this bait in tournaments. I use a #3 or #4 EWG hook with a 3/16 oz weight, heavier when flippin grass. Good thing about this bait is its weedless if hooked right and you can bite the tail off a bit after a couple hookups and keep on fishing it. The fish, for me, hardly ever short strike this bait like they would a craw or a worm. Buy a couple packs in dark colors with red or green in it and try them at your lake or pond. You will fall in love!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    Use a wide gap hook all the way thru and just barely skin hook it on the back. With this setup they seem to almost hook themselves.
    I agree 100% bad ass little bait!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Bozarth View Post
    i am using a qwner 3/0 hook and i have tried both ways barley in and all the way through and just let it stay in the crease
    If you're skin hooking the bait and still not hooking up, it may be your rod. It could be that it's not long enough to get good leverage or it's just not stiff enough to penetrate the hook into to fish's mouth. What kind of rod are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

a new twist, I used a Double Wide Beaver and turned it on it's side, took a knife leaving about 1/4 in at the nose cut the beaver to the split in the middle, and took a weighted wide gap hook and made it like a swim bait, leave the tail together, I use it for bedding fish and when the bass are running bluegill, sweet beaver will work also just go smaller on the hook! try it!!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Caught several nice fish today using the beaver (bass pro version) and I used the 3/0 gammy ewg with no problems. I have found that the bait is just a part of the puzzle. The line, rod and hook need to be right as well. I do the same as others and pull through it with the Hook point and skin hook the point. I go through slumps where I can't stick a fish to save my life but that fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Try skin hooking it, I use Gamakatsu hooks only and never have had trouble getting the hook in a fish. I recently changed all my top water and crank hooks to them and my hook up rate has increased so much. The other post about bluegill may be true. I skin hook everything. I was fishing at Nolin on Saturday and was using a 10" worm with a 4/0 Gamakatsu hook and was catching 10-12" bass on the big worm time after time and was shocked to keep catching small fish in 20-30 foot of water. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a skeet reese bait worm rod. 7 ft med fast with 14 pound mono

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problems using sweet beavers at brookville lake on had about 2 over 2lbs come off then 1 over 5 or 6lbs. Switched hooks had the same problem twice with different hooks. Then i switched to a straight hook like a bluegill but a little larger size since the barbs are quite large and i didnt miss a single on after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Bozarth View Post
    i have a skeet reese bait worm rod. 7 ft med fast with 14 pound mono
    HMMMMM...... I've felt those rods and even with it being a med action rod, they are pretty stiff. Also, long enough to generate plenty of leverage. Maybe you just need to hit the gym? lol just messing. With all the tips you've gotten, I hope you start hooking up. But everyone has slumps where things just dont go right. Keep swinging and I'm sure you'll work your way out of your funk.