Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

what type and style of crankbait rod

what does everybody use. After hearing KVD talk about his 7'10" and the new xd strike king. He said he was able to get it deeper because he could cast it so far, 70 yds he said. Also what line, everybody says 10 lbs. seems a little lite but if it works. Seems like you would break on the cast. But I'm willing to try it. Also a very likeable guy but do you really think he caught all of his fish on the strike king cb. I guess I need a new setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what type and style of crankbait rod

Yes I believe he caught most all his fish on the cb but if you think just because you buy everything he has your gonna fish like him you are mistaken. I think it is so funny when everyone runs out and buys what just won a tournament and then go out and not catch anything on it. If it was so easy everyone would do it. There is so much more to it they just make it look easy. One other thing I have not used it but have felt it in the store and seems to be a very good cb rod!

Post Thanks / Like

I went to BPS last year looking for a crankbait rod. I had no preconceived notions - I had an idea in my head of what I wanted but no idea if anybody made something to match. I looked at almost every brand from high end to entry level and couldn't come up with a match. I have never owned anything made by Quantum. Nothing against them, but I just always found something I liked better. So I figured I might as well be fair about it and look at Quantum rods. I picked up a 7' KVD model and pulled the tip over to check the action and knew instantly that I had found the CB rod of my dreams. I put a Revo STX on it and couldn't be happier! Came in second in the last tournament I fished without a partner. Caught everything on a crank throwing into a strong headwind. Like I said, couldn't be happier!

Post Thanks / Like

recently bought a 7' St. Croix Mojo crankbait rod ... I like it a lot, great action for the price range. I use 12lb fluro with it and IMO the line selection makes a big difference in performance, even for the recreational angler

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about a 7' 10" rod. I know it's not going to make me KVD. but if you could cast a little farther and get a little deeper with it and 10lb. line, I'm willing to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

It is made for the larger crank baits and you should beable to throw them a little farther. I can't guarantee you 70 yards on a cast from a rod you will need to fine tune your reels. I think I can cast my big crankbaits 70 yards as long as there is a big tail wind...

Post Thanks / Like

For mid-range cranking I use a Team Daiwa S (green handle) cranking rod that works nicely. I recently went looking for a new rod for handling lipless cranks and perhaps the deep runners. I settled on a Skeet Reese Tessera in...ready for this?.....the spinnerbait/worm action. So far it's performed quite well for me. No lost fish and casts like a bullet. It could perhaps use just a bit more tip action, but so far so good. Use a 5.1:1 reel spooled with 12lb Super Silver Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

A 7' 10" rod might be tough to deal with , esp with your buddy in the boat. I couldn't get the crazy thing to the lake without breaking the tip off.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like throwing cranks but when I have to I use a 7' Bass Pro Shops "Cranking Stick" and love itas a nice soft tip, it doesn't work well with deep divers "DD20-22". I use it all spring and fall throwing rattle traps or shad raps. I use REVO just changed to Floro, was using Suffix blue in 12lbs test, it's very strong, caught one 6lbs at Guthersville last spring after she wrapped me around the trolling motor and my line got stuck in the transducer clamp. If I throw deep divers I use one of my flipping sticks, just change reels, works real well, rod doesn't hardly bend and doesn't seem to beat me up as bad either.

Post Thanks / Like

If you run out and buy everything they win tournaments on, you must have alot of money. $15.00-$20.00 crankbaits to much for my tastes. I fish KY Lake a little, and I know these guys are good, but they get so much information its stupid. They have other boats go out and find fish for a them. Not to mention they have the best of all equipmet you could ask for. These new GPS/Sonars they are usin are nuts. They can ride over a spot and pick it apart before ever making a cast. Take an average fisherman that has some expierence under his belt, give him all the toys they have and I bet he can compete, not going to say he will beat them, but compete