Search Fishin.com

Thread: hatches

Post Thanks / Like

hatches

I talked to the orvis dealer a couple years ago when they were still open and was told ky streams didn't have any dependable hatches, that you might find sulphers one day and cahills the next. any help with patterns and timetable welcome. hate to waste the drive. rivers open to suggestions. went to dix river trophy area once was not impresses.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hatches

Quote Originally Posted by numbuts View Post
    I talked to the orvis dealer a couple years ago when they were still open and was told ky streams didn't have any dependable hatches, that you might find sulphers one day and cahills the next. any help with patterns and timetable welcome. hate to waste the drive. rivers open to suggestions. went to dix river trophy area once was not impresses.
    Kentucky bugs eat the KY cash crop !!! Keeps them confused !

But really , It is a challenge for me to find the fly of the day sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: hatches

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Kentucky bugs eat the KY cash crop !!! Keeps them confused !

But really , It is a challenge for me to find the fly of the day sometimes
    Just might be some TRUTH to that, esp down in the river bottoms/hollows....

Good to see you back on line, On the road or back at the cabin ? Notice the CR river flow, still down...If this continues (? we did have a bit of rain this weeK!), thinking I just might put on my boots and drive over to Crocus (sp?) creek. Any recomendations on flies, etc. Oh, after the last time I was there, I'll have a Life Jacket on under my vest !!! (another story).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by numbuts View Post

I find that if the cumberland river gets any dependable hatches, you can usually see them popping off in the middle to late afternoon. The Caddis hatch in May is the one to fish, have caught a lot of nice fish during this one. It normally is pretty good between the rockhouse and winfrey's. The problem is that if the water is rolling the hatch doesn't go off. From now through about the end of July you can catch a sulfur hatch on most afternoons as well. I use a #16 parachute sulfur on about a 12ft leader. Have done well with that. If the cicada's start singing in the trees during the day or early evening, hold on. It's about to get nasty. Tie one on and beat the banks. Biggest brown I ever caught on the CR came from Dave Whitlock's Cicada pattern. There is always a midge hatch that goes off on low water (usually in the morning and afternoon) but it's tough man. Try a uvz midge or griffiths knat with a zebra midge trailer (black or red). Both in size 20-22. When there aren't hatches poppin, my old stand by is either a #16 prince nymph or pheasant tail with a zebra midge or chartreuse egg pattern tied about a foot below the nymph under a strike indicator (bobber). Of course you can always tie on a clouser (I like the olive top/ white belly pattern), a black chicago fly or a baby rainbow trout pattern streamer and beat the wood and runs. I have a couple of buddy's who guide on the South Holston and Watagua and use that rainbow trout streamer up here and crush big trout on it. You are on going to get numbers but what fish you do land will be slobs. I fish these on a sink tip line with about a 2ft' 15pd florocarbon leader. If you can get access to a boat, the better but all the stuff I mentioned will help you get from the bank. I have used all of them when wading and have caught fish. The key is low water and it looks like we are going to have starting Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

That midge hatch on the CR is TOUGH! Requires tiny patterns, tiny tippett, and excellent line control to prevent any drag. I find a #22 bh copper john dropped off a #22 Griffiths knat is usually money when they are focused up. Before the river changes, a #18 bh red pheasant tail produced some monster bows/browns for me. Of course, I haven't been back to the CR since the "change" so none of this could hold true today.

Caught the biggest brown of my life on a cicada @ the Green River in UT. Nothing funner then when those big trout are sucking down cicadas and hoppers along the bank! Love it!

-Rich