Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the area.

Howdy guys I just got stationed here in Kentucky at Ft.Knox. Was wondering any places around the area to go fishing at? Also what kinda fish is there around here and some pro tips like what to use etc. Im coming from Florida so mostly used to bass and salt water fishing trying to familiarize my self with the area and what's best to use around here. Any tips would be awesome TY!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to the area.

Welcome! I moved up here from Florida about 14 years ago and was in shock when I started fishing these lakes. Seeing water that was 40, 50, 60, 100 foot deep freaked me out at first but I soon realized that mostly it showed me where not to fish. I really don't know your area but good luck I'm sure some of the great guys on here will help out.
    Thanks for serving!!!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, thank you for your service, and welcome to Kentucky! Well, for starters you've got a few lakes right there on base, and if I'm not mistaken, access to a segment of Otter Creek that contains trout. What I've heard about the lakes is that they used to be real good for bass, but haven't been well managed. I don't know, I've never fished there myself.

Our wildlife agency is Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx?cid=768&navpath=C742. There's a lot of info on their web site.

Outside of that, the other guys on the board can give you better information than I, so I'll stop there, unless you're looking for information on the many small stocked lakes in the Louisville Metro area. Not a lot of big fish in them, but they're fun to fish, although some are nicer than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies so far. So far the only lake I got to fish was cedar lake but gonna take a stab at some of the lakes on post and hopefully snag a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Cedar Lake??? What about freeman lake? Is it worth fishing? I have never been there but maybe someone on here has and can comment...

Post Thanks / Like

From Fort Knox you have access to several good lakes. All of them have great potential to give you some good days of fishing. If you are ok with traveling to Cedar then your gonna love some of your more close lakes. Within a two hour drive of you is Nolin, Rough River, Green, Barren, Willisburg, Guist, Cumberland, and the Ohio river. That is just some of the more popular waters. There are several more that I'm sure the guys on here will fill you in on.

All of these waters have good numbers of bass, catfish, blue gill, and other species

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from Kentucky but I travel to Florida to fish several times a year. Mostly fish saltwater on the beach and offshore. I have bass fished Stick Marsh/Farm 13 a few times and had a blast everytime. I don't know about the pro tips (maybe local knowledge at best) but if you'd like to fish Green River Lake sometime you can give me a PM and I'd be glad to take you out bass fishing. My way of saying thank you for serving our country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishstixx View Post
    Howdy guys I just got stationed here in Kentucky at Ft.Knox. Was wondering any places around the area to go fishing at? Also what kinda fish is there around here and some pro tips like what to use etc. Im coming from Florida so mostly used to bass and salt water fishing trying to familiarize my self with the area and what's best to use around here. Any tips would be awesome TY!
    Welcome to the area Brother, You have 2 major impoundments within a 40 minute drive from Ft. Knox. One Rough River Lake, Breckinridge & Grayson Counties. Ramps/ Rough River Tailwater Access Area(free) State Park Marina (free) Cave Creek Rec. Area ($) Laurel Branch Rec. Area (free) Axtel Rec. Area (free) North Fork Rec. Area (free) Peter Cave Rec. Area ($) Eveleigh Rec. Area (free)
    Nolin (River) Lake, Greyson Edmonson & Hart Counties Ramps/ Nolin Tailwater Access Area (free) Nolin Dam Access Area ($) Brier Creek Rec. Area ($) Moutardier Rec. Area ($) Conoloway Access Area (free) Ponderrosa Access Area (free) Iberia ($) Dog Creek Rec. Area ($) Wax Rec Area ($) Bacon Creek Acess Area (free). Also on the one's that charge a fee, Show your id! Check with base services and they can supply you with more info. Take Care, Thank You for the service you have given to our beloved country.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey buddy, read my thread "Nolin in the Morning". You will LOVE that lake. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

Send me a PM sometime and maybe I can meet you at Nolin to do some fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info! I am gonna have to check some of these out and post up some results. I have field training all this week but should be free to start my adventures next week. Also thanks for all the offers to go out would be awesome I'll hafta get in contact once training's done.

Post Thanks / Like

Douglas lake on post has some excellent fishing been a few years since I've been there. Also Camp Carlson has a nice large pond or small lake I guess you would call it. i'm down here on the Nolin river we've been slaying some google eye and a few walleye. Its canoe or kayak fishing and I've got 3 canoes and 4 kayaks so no problem to hook you up. Send me a pm if your interested.

Post Thanks / Like

So here's a update. Been going out to Douglas only caught 2 little small mouths on a baby bass super fluke. Then today we went to the duffield boat launch area and walked down to the bridge there where it's kinda damned up didn't get a single bite saw a bunch of fish breaking the surface no clue what they were. Threw everything in my tackle box anybody got any suggestions on tackle or ideas what I'm doin wrong here lol my Florida tricks aren't workin here