Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dead fish during day tournaments

I fished the Barren River Usa Bassin this past weekend,and there was 7 or 8 dead fish weighed in and I have noticed alot of other tourneys have had a lot of dead fish weighed in lately.Should the weigh in times be backed up some?I know its hotter than normal and there is not much we can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dead fish during day tournaments

i know that the bfl this past weekend had a bunch of dead fish seem like everyone had some

Post Thanks / Like

really not rocket science to keep the days catch alive...freeze 20oz. bottles with water in them and add them to the live well as needed to keep the water cooler than the actual lake water.. Add some type of calming and anti bacterial crystals to the live well and the fish will remain alive..... I have not weighed in a dead fish in over 20 years using this system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    really not rocket science to keep the days catch alive...freeze 20oz. bottles with water in them and add them to the live well as needed to keep the water cooler than the actual lake water.. Add some type of calming and anti bacterial crystals to the live well and the fish will remain alive..... I have not weighed in a dead fish in over 20 years using this system.
    I'm a tourny guy for 20+ years now and have not weighed in more than a few dead fish and they were all from a hook in the wrong spot.
    I have seen alot of ignorance from anglers when it comes to taking care of fish in the heat. Your right about your suggestions Clyde and even tho' they are simple some folks don't care.

It's a fact of tourny fishing to lose a few because mistakes happen but negligence isn't a mistake it's sad.

Another mistake I have seen on more than one occasion is that after fish are weighed the fella holds a weigh in bag open with water in it and the already weighed fish are poured out of the basket into the bag. The fish hit the pavement or concrete with a thud since they have such momentum and only a few inches of water....it's ridiculous.

Takes all kinds of folks to fish and some were stupid before they started fishing tourny's and "you can't fix stupid".

BTW...don't get excited thinking everyone does these stupid things because for the most part from what I have seen things go well especially if a little care and information is shared by the tourny director on taking care of your catch.

Be careful using ice with chlorine or other stuff in it because I heard at times it could harm the fish....at least thats what I heard.
    Last edited by DJD; 06-22-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Like said above, the anglers need to take care of their fish. You have to use ice in your livewells this time of year guys. Make sure you check on them every once in a while and add more ice throughout the day when water warms back up.

Post Thanks / Like

We also weighed in dead fish this weekend at Barren. We stopped midday to buy ice at the state marina to make sure our fish were in good health. The dead fish we weighed in had a few gills broke where it inhaled a strike king series 6xd. Not much you can do with that. We tried our best to her going but couldn't. The rest of our fish swam off great.

Post Thanks / Like

Please release me or rejuvinade goes a long way, and ice is a must - most pros carry at least 3 bags with them for their days catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sarge , You have to catch and put'em in the livewell first......

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what you all have said....changing the water in the livewells a couple times throughout the day helps a lot too....just make sure to reapply the rejuvenate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been tourney fishing off and on for about 10yrs and have yet to weigh in a dead 1 either,but its going to probably get me one of these days.I also always keep plenty of frozen bottles in a separate cooler.What makes it even worse is the fish is no good to eat either because most of the time they are spoiled.I even put a ice bottle in my weigh bag while i am in line.In my 1st post I meant there was not much we could do about the heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the tourney guys eat the dead bass they bring to the weigh-in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Hey Sarge , You have to catch and put'em in the livewell first......

LOL...yeah you got me Joe...How ya been...Them jigs still workin out for ya....Still got some of that bear fur left over if you need more hair jigs.

Clyde