Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your Favorite Online Sites to Purchase Flies?

Do you have a favorite site or sites which you would like to share with the board?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Favorite Online Sites to Purchase Flies?

Personally I haven't bought a fly in probably ten years. Once I landed that first fish on a fly I tied myself I had a new habit. It felt great to see and feel everything come together, holding that fish in my hands. Recounting the time spent daydreaming about catching it, planning out how I could accomplish this goal, acquiring the materials, meticulously constructing the fly at the vice, time spent practicing casting the rod, getting to the water, reading and assessing the situation there and how best to proceed with my presentation, the meticulous deliberateness of the act of casting the fly in such a way as not to spook the fish, hence wasting all that work and potential, putting my creation out there on the water for all the fish to judge, the anticipation of their deliberations. Will they accept or reject my work, is it good enough? Am I good enough? Then POW! Vicious vindication! All that patience and hard work has not been for naught! Then the role reversal, now I judge the fish and all its aspects, what is it, how long, how old, wonder at its life and proclivities if only to glorify my triumph and bring me one step closer to understanding its mysteries. Will I keep it, or release it? The conquest is almost better than sex. The battle is usually brief but the satisfaction lasts as long as the memory of the moment.

Really though I need to spend some more time learning/re-learning the structural fundamentals of fly construction. Have had this tendency to learn how to tie a pattern I felt I needed, learn to tie it well, then tie it perfectly, without ever really understanding why this or that had to be done to make everything work out in or on the water.

To answer the question though, if I was going to buy some off the internet, don't think you could probably beat Fly Shack's pricing. Must have a bunch of Korean kids or American Grad students tying em' to unload them at those prices.

Post Thanks / Like

I also tie most of my flies myself but I usually buy my full hackle duns (cant justify cost of good quality neck). introduced a friend to flyfishing a few years ago and to stock his box with the basics we used flyshack.com. There selection is good and the price is right. ordered about 2 doz. some bwo's, rusty spinners and yellow sulphers to start. shipping was no problem had them about 1 week. only glitch was when we looked them over all the sulphers looked more like pmd's so we were a little disappointed but we ended up having a great time and my buddy caught his first fish on fly. you can also try k&k flyfishers but their prices are about 2x more than flyshack

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently discovered this little site.....excellent prices, check it out:

http://www.anglersdream.net/?gclid=C...FQS2sgodYSzX5Q

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Umpqua Feather Merchants. They used to release a catalog entitled the Enflyclopedia that was great for finding new patterns to tie or buy. The Fly Shop in Redding,CA has a very nice selection and can be found online.

Post Thanks / Like

just went to the site angler's dream it has great prices I have been buying my stuff saltwaterflies.com. much better prices but I was looking for stripers stuff big flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for sharing. Checked them out.....great sites...

PS, a new friend of mine says "the guy with the most flies when he dies goes to heaven", or something like that (well maybe I misquoted?).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up to Angler's Dream Fly Shop . Placed an internet order on July 18th, recieved flies on July 21st. And, price was RIGHT!